My Awesome New Time Travel Novel

The Traveler is coming out as an e-book from Rogue Phoenix Press next month, but the links are already up for ordering it on several sites.

It’s the story of a Time Traveler whose Time Machine has broken down – one of his circuit boards has literally fried – in Imperial Rome. His only way to get home is to rebuild it using whatever he can find or construct in ancient Rome. The story is told from the point of view of the Roman street kid who is helping him out. The book is nominally YA, but can be read and enjoyed by anyone.

Here’s where you can find it:

Amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W5K68ZY

Barnes & NobleThe Traveler by Stephen R. Wilk | eBook | Barnes & Noble®

Apple‎The Traveler on Apple Books

Kobohttps://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-traveler-57

Google Playhttps://play.google.com/store/books/details/Stephen_R_Wilk_The_Traveler?id=6EqoDwAAQBAJ

I’ll let you know when it’s officially released.

In addition to this, I’ve just sent back the galleys to my science fiction short story Yamadori, which will be appearing in Analog shortly.

I know writing is hard work, but describing your book as ‘awesome’ is a real turn-off.

“You’re a writer when someone else says you’re a writer.”
“Your book is awesome when someone else says it.”

Eh, from Cal, I’m willing to take his word on it.

If I were going to be snarky, I’d say you should tell that to Exapno. But I’m not, so I won’t.

Someone sounds jealous.

I will look forward to hearing about the release of the book. I love time travel stories. Do you happen to have a major in world history, or studies that followed Roman history in particular?

No I studied Latin in High School and visited the Roman sites in Southern France, Rome, and near Vesuvius about the same time. I read a lot of classics in college, both in and out of class, and have kept it up ever since. I’ve written two books on mythology (although only one has been published), and have written other stories set in Imperial Rome. I was strongly influenced by L. Sprague de Camp’s Lest Darkness Fall, a time travel novel in which the hero finds himself I just the right time and place to prevent the Fall of Rome, and I was impressed by his struggle to survive and thrive in Rome.

It just occurred to me that I’d never seen anyone treat what seems to me a very obvious fear and problem of time travel – what if your time machine b4reaks down? And you know that no one will be coming to your rescue? Could you repair it on your own, without modern technology?

Cool!

(In case anyone misses the reference…)

Yeah, I couldn’t help being reminded of that book when I read the description of yours

I seem to recall one or more of the Family Guy episodes featuring Stewie’s time machine involving him having to repair it to avoid being stranded in the past. And of course Marty McFly has to get his time-traveling DeLorean to work using 1950’s technology in Back To The Future. But those aren’t really the same kind of story that you seem to be talking about here.

I think that Gary Larson, at least, addressed that point. Though of course he didn’t address it in very much depth.

Meh, you don’t even need to carry any spare time-travel parts on the trip. If your time machine breaks down, all you need is to remember to do like Bill & Ted and bring yourself everything you need via-- time machine.

All you talented writers are making me jealous! I’ll be downloading your book tonight!

In my case, I don’t think you can just yet. You can pre-order, I think, but the publication date is sometime next month.

Just pre-ordered. Download happens on September 8.

Saw that. I’ll be putting in my pre-order, then. :smack:

There’s a time travel joke in there somewhere.

In addition to this, I’ve edited the galleys of my upcoming Analog story, Yamadori, which should be out in a couple of months.

I just heard from a publisher interested in my Frankenstein novella, A Light so Brilliant and Wondrous.

And Optics and Photonics News is running my article on the pop culture trope of using Ultraviolet Light to kill vampires in its October issue.

Lotsa stuff coming out shortly.

It’s out now. I just ordered it and it’s in my Nook App.

Wow!

News to me. Thanks for telling me. You’d think my publisher would let me know.

*John Gielgud] I’ll alert the media. [/John Gielgud]

Congrats on the many sales! Rogue Phoenix Press is a prestige venue.

Heh. I was quoting somebody, so I’m legit.

I knew before my publisher that my book as being sold on some platforms. Mainly because I bothered to look and they didn’t. Publishers. :smack:

If it’s being sold electronically anyway, shouldn’t there at least be an automated e-mail saying “Congratulations! You’ve made your first sale. Here are some tips to generate word-of-mouth and keep the sales coming:”

I preordered it when this thread first appeared, and started reading it yesterday. I’m loving it so far.