My cat Hope has just passed

It was not entirely unexpected, as she has been doing poorly for some time, and I have had her into the vet’s a few times in the last week. She was sacked out on the rug in the living room when I went out earlier today, and enjoyed her head skritches. When I got back a few hours later, she was in the same place, in the same position, but managed a weak “meow.” I was worried, and looked up the number of the local 24-hour emergency pet clinic. But it was too late; when I checked on her a few minutes later, she was cold and unresponsive. I rushed her to the clinic, where she was pronounced dead.

Hope was 18 years old, and a wonderful companion. She loved to play, and enjoyed watching the birds in the trees in my yard. She was always ready for a nap on my lap, during which she would purr. In fact, all you had to do was to touch her, and she would purr. If there was a World Championship of Purring, she would have won it. And most mornings, I’d wake up to find her beside me, curled up like a teddy bear. She was a sweet cat, and I miss her already.

Time heals, and it will this time also, but my house seems a little empty tonight. At least she passed in familiar and friendly surroundings. Friends, please join me in celebrating the life of my cat, Hope.

What a lovely tribute to a beloved pet. You are right that time will heal and some day you will remember your beautiful Hope with smiles instead of tears.

It sounds like she had a good life with a very kind hooman. You did good.

What a wonderful creature! She was as blessed to have spent her 18 short years with you as you were to have her. Godspeed, Hope. Wishing you a gentle grief, @Spoons.

I am very sorry. And I’m glad you got home in time for her to know you were there; as you’d been there for her all of her life.

Oh god, another heartbreaking loss. Keep strong, Spoons, and remember all the good times you and Hope had together. You were both so lucky to have each other.

I’ll be holding you both in the light, @Spoons.

Hope was a very lucky kitty to have you.

For both of you:

Thank you, Boo. I sang in a church choir for many years, and sang that hymn many times, and it always made me feel better. Again, thank you for posting that video–it made me feel better.

And thank you to everybody else also. Your comments mean a lot.

RIP, Hope. :frowning:

May your memories of her be as soft as her fur.

You were near her at the end; it sounds like she had a peaceful passing. It still hurts the humans who get left behind, though.

I’m so sorry. It’s hard to lose a furry friend. You were there for her; may good memories sustain you.

I’m very sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful cat.

It sounds like Hope had a lovely life with you, and I’m glad you were with her at the end, and she could die peacefully at home, in familiar surroundings. I’m sorry for your loss.

It always hurts. Be grateful for all the years you had, they were precious. My most sincere condolences.

StG

My deepest condolences. There’s something even a touch more poignant about the “loss of Hope.”

May your grief be mercifully brief, but may your memories of eighteen years with this girl be sweet and everlasting.

My cat Will died in his sleep a year and a half ago. That did make it a bit easier for me. Sending good thoughts to you.

She sounds like a lovely cat. Our furry companions bring so much to our lives and leave such a hole when they leave. I wish you the best during this time.

I’m so sorry to hear about Hope’s passing. For such tiny beings, cats sure do leave a large hole in our lives. :frowning:

Vienna sends her love and condolences.