My condolensces to Canada

Ya know,

I always go nuts about invading Canada, Canadian this-and-that, and the like. I’m sure you all know I mean them in jest.

But my sincere condolences out to the families of these fine gents from the PPCLI. A horrible, horrible mistake. . .

Tripler
Fratricide is painful. Moreso to the living. . .

I rarely cry, and it would be even more rare if accidents and tragedies like this would not happen so much. In a way, this may be worse because they were NOT U.S. military casualties.

I can’t even think of what to say here. Like alice and Canadian Sue, the Canadian Military has been a huge part of my life. My family, my friends, men I have dated - I can not fathom what it would be like for me to lose one of them in combat, let alone in friendly fire. Once these men’s names are released, I may realize this pain.

So often, Canada is the butt of American jokes; making fun of us for one thing or another, and I’m tired of it. We selflessly send our men into peace-keep and into combat when they are needed, and very rarely do we get the credit which is due.

It is very sad to me that something like this had to happen in order for people to sit up and take notice of Canada’s contributions.

Not entirely true, Ginger. Many Americans, like myself, take the time to find out more than just what scrolls across the screen on CNN and were quite aware of Canada’s contributions, not only to this current action, but every time America needs a friend’s help. That more of us are unaware of Canada’s contributions is mostly due to plain ignorance, both on the part of the public and the American news media. They tend to report on what American forces are doing, and barely mention the contributions our allies make. Some of us, however, pay more attention than that.

Unlike most of the world, when the September attacks happened, Canada did not just offer condolences. The Canadian military immediately made plans to deploy even before our government even asked. Stranded airline passengers were given an amazing amount of hospitality, particularly in Gander, Newfoundland where stranded passengers and airline crews outnumbered the town’s residents, and yet everyone was given a place to sleep and something to eat. The Royal Canadian Air Force began performing combat air patrols to protect our northern border. Canada’s military are fully involved in every aspect of the operation in Afghanistan, in the air, on the ground, and at sea.

I noticed, and I’m not alone.

As for Canada being the butt of jokes down here, you can’t tell me that there aren’t any jokes on your side of the border that point out how ignorant Americans are. Besides, we have to make fun of the country that gave the world William Shatner. I tend to think of it more as the teasing you get between siblings than anything malicious.

What a sad, sad accident.

My country knows all too well the generosity of the Canadian armed forces, for most of our WWII liberators carried maple leaf flags on their uniforms.

It’s a different era now, and a different enemy. Any soldier’s life lost is one too many, particularly so if they are fighting for the good cause of peace - and the elimination of terrorism.

My thoughts are with the relatives and friends of those who fell.