My dog just died

I’m sorry, cowgirl. Dogs are the best. You said you haven’t lived with him for years. Maybe it’s time for you to give a home to a dog of your own?

Thanks for all your kind words. I went home from work early yesterday and haven’t been on the 'net since then - I raised a pint for the old dog and now I feel a bit better … but now that I’ve opened this I’m crying again !

He was a black and white springer spaniel named TJ, with a legendary fear of thunderstorms (strange for a so-called hunting breed) - we once found him stuck behind the couch, hours after a storm, because he couldn’t get himself out and he was too embarassed to let us know. He was just sitting there waiting to be freed, trying to act like he wanted to be stuck behind the couch. And once he tried to climb into the fridge during another storm while I was getting something out of it.

At least when he lost his hearing he wasn’t afraid any more !

And he knew all the words dogs know - “walk” and “milkbone” and “vet” and stuff - also “compost” because he really loved to pick through it when we would take it outside. We tried to tell him he was a carnivore but he wasn’t having any of it. He would have done anything for watermelon, always happily eating the rinds we threw into the yard. Crazy dog.

Okay, now I’m all sad again. Thanks again for all your kind words.

cuauhtemoc - I’d love to get a dog of my own ! but circumstances won’t allow me just yet. I don’t think I can commit to being home three times a day, every day, for the next fifteen years - and also I plan to move overseas in the next few years and that would be mightily complicated by a pooch. I have been thinking about a cat, though, which is almost heresy for a dog person such as myself, but my roommate is leaving and taking her bunny away and I will be animal-less, and cats seem like the most straightforward thing for an airhead like myself to take care of. Dunno.

Thanks again. Off to find something more cheerful to read on the Dope.

I feel for you. Like yourself, I have suffered through the loss of a a few dogs…but take heart! You know that your friend will be waiting for you, and one day you will see him again!
Meantime, remember an ld story about those who have passedon…every time you thinkof them, they wake up in heaven,and think of you!
All the best to you, and may these thoughts console you!

(((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))

So sorry about the loss of your dear friend.

This is terrible news. I am so sorry for your loss. I know pets can be like a member of the family. Prayers headed your way from the south!

Oh my. Thank you for the wonderful stories about TJ, cowgirl. Springer spaniels are the very best kind of dog. :slight_smile: Now that I can picture him I’m even sadder for you, remembering when we lost our springer sweetheart.

I’m so sorry. Please keep his memories in your heart!

I am so sorry for your loss, cowgirl. I am glad that you had so many years with TJ. I still sometimes miss all of my pets that have gone on to doggy and kitty heaven; but I remember the good times, and smile.

Take heart, be kind to yourself. Allow yourself time to grieve. Then go get a cat, if that is the best option for your current living situation. I love cats too, have two cats and a dog right now. And a koi, who has learned to hide from the cats. If you have any questions about cats, please feel free to email me, and I’ll help you make up your mind, perhaps, if that is what you really want now or what.

{{{{{{cowgirl}}}}}}

I’m so sorry. :frowning: