my electric stovetop

Last night I was cooking Kraft macaroni & cheese on the range but the water kept boiling over the pot whenever the temperature setting is at its highest. When I set the temperature level to Medium High this solves the boil-over problem but then the pasta does not taste right because the water is not really boiling hot enough for a long enough time and the mac is ruined.
When I set the dial to High there is a ‘groove’ that the dial clicks into much like some car radios have for balance and fade controls so there is a limit to how high it can go, when I move the dial clockwise to Medium High there is now way to tell other than the markings on the dial, the coil itself turning from red to black and not much else.
Is there a temperature setting between Med High and High on my GE Oven which will allow me to make the perfect pasta?
I know that we can add oil to the water but I want to avoid this solution.

The last 3 apts. I’ve lived in have had electric ovens.

God, I hate electric ovens.

All the electric stoves I’ve seen in the last 20 years or so all had adjustable heat settings. Just turn thr dial a little one way or the other. I do remember seeing electric stoves that had push bottons to set the temperature. Low, Med Low, Med. etc. But not recently.

Can you not just turn the dial back a little from High? Our current stove, Kenmore, has a dial marked 1 to 9 then High. You can set the temp anywhere.

That said, our new stove will be gas.

Can you position the pot so it’s only partially on the element? with some finagling of the pot position, you may be able to leave the setting on high.

ps. It’s a criminal offence to ruin Kraft M&C.

Pour some oil into the water before you start boiling it. It will keep the water from boiling over but not boiling.

I’ve heard it mentioned on cooking shows that adding oil to the water will help keep the water from boiling over, and it also helps keep the pasta from clumping. But they said it coats the pasta and keeps the sauce from being absorbed into the pasta.

As I only use butter and such on my pasta it probably makes no difference to me. Might not make any difference wich Mac & Cheese either.

Are you cooking your pasta by timing it or checking to see if it is done? I don’t think it should make much of a difference if you have a full rolling boil vs. a lighter boil as long as you wait until it is done.

You should also be able to set the dial between medhi and hi and it will give you a higher temp. Set it just below where it clicks into place.

Heh, my apartment stove is one of these (and a ‘compact’ model to boot…) It’s the worst stove I’ve ever used.

I usually keep things that need to be cooked over a high heat from boiling over by using a tight-fitting lid and a lower heat setting.

Have you tried a bigger pot?

Have you tried a bigger pot?

Are you using enough water and a big enough pot? I used to make mac & cheese on a daily basis on an electric stove and it was always just fine.

I filled my medium saucepan (you know…not the huge one, not the tiny one…in my mom’s set) about halfway with water, let it boil on HIGH until rolling, turned down to medium high and poured in the noodles and set the timer for 7 minutes as prescribed on the box.

Just use a bigger pot or less water.

We actually make two boxes at our house to make sure that there is enough for everyone. The key to great pasta is to (IMHO) to add the noodle when the water is at a rolling boil and keep the water temp at a constant. Maybe add a little salt to the water before the boil in order to bring out the flavor.
The obvious solution is to purchase a bigger pot but this one already holds 5 quarts. WHat I did last night to solve this problem was move the pot so it was half off the coil and thus I was able to maintain the temp and the movement but /out the spillage.
I remember watching Nana wipe oil on the inside of the pot near the top and this would keep the water from boiling over too.
I forsee a trip to WalMart in the future.