My flan is liquid right at this moment in my oven! Help!

:eek:

So I had a ton of extra eggs, and quite coincidentally I ran across a recipe for flan, which I really like. However, it’s been cooking for a good half-hour and it’s still 100% liquid AFAICT. I’ve never cooked flan before, can anyone rescue me?

Here’s what I did:

First of all, I didn’t have the 8-inch pan, so I cut the recipe in half and am cooking in an 8-oz ramekin sort of thing.

I did the caramel part a-ok.

Then I mixed 1/8 cup sugar, 2 eggs, a 1/2 c of milk, a dash of salt, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. I poured this on top of the caramel and put it in a casserole dish with about an inch of water (or slightly less). Popped it in the oven at 325, and expected it to be done between 20-30 minutes.

I am so not a chef, but I decided to try this recipe. Only a few ingredients, baking; how hard could it be, I thought? :smack:

Please, if any chefs are online, can you save this disaster?

Half an hour isn t enough, especially at 325 degrees. Try put a meat thermometer in the middle (figure out a way to hold it up. I use a 1/2" x 1" x a little longer than the pan wooden stick with a hole drilled in the middle), and when it reads 170 take the flan out and let it sit in the water bath while it cools. It will still be runny when you take it out of the oven but will solidify as it cools. Whatever you do don t leave the flan in the oven too long or it will turn into something like sweet scrambled eggs mixed with rubber blobs.

Maybe I should start getting my recipes from more reliable sources. :smack:

That would have been really helpful for the recipe to mention!

Well, I went ahead and took it out as soon as the surface was semi-solid, since I didn’t have a meat thermometer handy (recently moved). I guess I’ll find out tomorrow if it is sweet scrambled eggs!

Thanks.