My GFCI has gone TU

Since you did say that an exterior receptacle is involved, you should ensure that a good quality gasket is present, and to meet current NEC, it needs a “when in use cover”, which protects the plug and receptacle connection from rain intrusion.

This is pretty much what I came in to say. I had an occasional GFCI trip in one bathroom and I traced the problem to an exterior receptacle that wasn’t sealed properly. The piece of information that allowed me to find it (AFTER replacing a perfectly good GFCI plug :mad: ) was noticing that it happened only after a heavy rain. I’ll wager that you have a similar problem. In my case, replacing the gasket wasn’t sufficient. I had to redo the silicone caulk that was at the top of the outlet plate.

I’ll join the bandwagon. If it’s getting damp in the outdoor box, enough electrons may be swimming from the hot wire to ground to trip the GFCI - one of the reasons for using such devices in potentially damp locations.

I sympathize with you - we’ve had way too much rain in Kansas the past six weeks, though not the flooding you folks have seen.

Ah, the first rule of troubleshooting: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! :smiley: