My Highbeams work but my Lowbeams don't what gives?

Well I’ve got a 92’ Jeep Cherokee that I got for $100… It’s in remarkably good shape - new water pump, head gasket, valve covers, breaks, and some other odds and ends. It’s a 4X4 and can pull my boat which is all I need it for. However, after a nice evening of fishing last night I went to take the boat out and my Damn had lights didn’t come on… The parking lights came on and the high beams came on but no lowbeams. The lever is a pull switch to get them to come on, when I pull it the parking lights come on but no low beams… Is it possible both low beams blew and I just simply need to replace the lights? (I hope so as I just got back from Wally-World where I bought a set of lamps…)
I checked the fuses and both are intact… no blown fuses… Did I do the right things?

Headlights do usually burn out at nearly the same time, so that is a possibility. If that doesn’t work, there may be a blown relay under the hood.

That’s almost certainly what happened, and since bulbs are (relatively) cheap that’s where I would start.

Just keep in mind that if you replace both bulbs at the same time they’ll likely burn out at the same time (all things being equal), so get two sets and put one set away for later.

It could be both headlights are burnt out on low beam. It could be that the beam select switch is faulty. It could be that there’s a wiring problem (not terribly likely). There is no relay in the system.

Why buy a second set now? Later might be 5 years from now. Whenever it is, it’s a safe bet that replacement bulbs will still be available at that time.

Yeah, when you’re in the middle of nowhere and you have to drive 150 miles with your high beams on, pissing people off and drawing the ire of the local fuzz.

They’re cheap, it doesn’t hurt anything, and it allows you to show a little consideration. What’s the big deal about that?

I have heard people claim that they burn out around the same time, but this has not been my experence at all. If it was so importaint to have a spare pair on hand with a new set of headlights the manufacturer would have provided them next to the spare tire - it’s a waste of time, space and money to carry around a spare, no less 2.

What a lot of people do is replace the 2 when one burns out, take the good old one aas a spare, but this is not the case here.

What I wag about the OP is that one was burnt out and you didn’t notice it, when the 2nd one went it was a big difference.

A simple test would be to use a volt meter on the connector to see if the bulb is getting 12V’s to it.

If you have to use your bright lights sometimes you can smear some grease on the lens to help darken it, but note that the heat from the light may cause that to flow down to other parts.

Not saying it’s a big deal, but it doesn’t strike me as practical for most people. While they aren’t particularly expensive, it’s still money spent now that might not need to spent until years later - if ever. Then they have to be stored and carried. It’s only really an issue if both burn out at the same moment (not really likely), and for it to be of value in your scenario the driver would have to be prepared to replace them on the spot, which means fiddling with small screws by the side of the road in the dark. I just don’t see much sense in it.

Check the fuse(s) before you go buy bulbs.
Oh you may wind up doing :smack: this.

By now you have installed the new lamps and hopefully all is well.
If not remove the connectors to the lamps and use a volt meter to check for voltage to each lamp for both hi and lo settings. If no voltage, as is to be expected if lamps are out, then there is a wiring problem to be traced back to the point of a broken wire or faulty switch.
Good Luck