My humble suggestion at fixing the misogyny stuff.

Agreed. You don’t wrestle with a pig, it makes you both dirty, but the pig enjoys it.

It used to be simple. Now not so simple. First hurtle: Define women.

I thought gender was a spectrum? Does this include transgender women?

Can you explain what your point is? It seems you’re saying you won’t show respect to certain classes of people that you see as less than fully human.

His post implies nothing of the sort.

I hear you and my argument’s not with you. I think that ultimately the Dope just has to die. I kind of regret giving it my $20 recently to help keep it alive just so that creeps could make rape jokes.

Than I look forward to his clarification.

Yes, his post was clearly meant to merely to bog this thread down into a big digression from its main point. A mission I’m entirely unshocked to see people help facilitate.

Yeah it’s a real world exercise in how we deal with the dope’s endemic sexism. So we ignore the post or we get pulled in to their sewer. I honestly don’t know the answer, but what we’re doing isn’t working.

If you are going to have a panel of women, which is sexist to begin with, you do have to define what counts as a woman and how to prove it over the internet. What’s the point in providing suggestions if they aren’t discussed?

Exactly why your “just keep calling them out” is no solution at all. You’ll always have some guy dropping in to “just ask questions” and someone like octopus following up to say “the specific words he used does not directly mean what you are accusing him of, we should have a lengthy discussion about all the implications”. In the end there is no resolution with half a thread filled with crap. Repeat ad nauseam.

Something that you and others seem to continue with posts like this. Why not simply respond with “Yes, transgender women are included” instead of post after post trying to determine what he meant by the question? Strange.

The problem was the unfounded accusation. Why do people feel the need to try to read minds and look to be offended? Hermitian raised a valid and on topic point and was immediately met with an accusation disguised as a question. What’s the point of that tactic?

Yes, why DO you feel the need to try to read minds? You’re dismissive assumption that others here are looking to be offended is an excellent example of someone who thinks (with woeful inaccuracy) that he or she can read minds.

Because it’s not remotely as simple as that, which is the point. It brings up a massive debate on a side issue best discussed if this “panel of women” thing is actually acted on. It’s very clear purpose is to sidetrack the current conversation.

Gentle suggestion: if you think Hermitian’s post, and octopus’s cheerleading for it, is dumb hijacky bullshit, maybe don’t engage them on it–because if folks do, you know it’s gonna hijack this thread into a dumb bullshit direction.

Sure it is. Watch:

Yes.
See?

I agree, which is why I am merely addressing the JAQing off aspects of it- which is germane to the rape apology/misogyny discussion- rather than get into a “what is female” debate.

Sorry everyone. I didn’t meant to derail the thread.

It was a half-joking comment meant to point out that something as simple as “a panel of women” is not simple. Twenty years ago it might have been simple, but today everyone is very sensitive about gender assumptions.

I made no comments about judging classes of people.

You may now return to your previous discussion.

Gender as an identity may be a spectrum but “women” as an experience is somewhat different. I can identify as a woman (or whatever) all I want, (and I have), but my experiences are not the experiences of a person who has been designated by other people all my life as a girl or woman and treated accordingly.

Many transgender men can attest to that experience despite currently identifying as men.

I don’t flounce; I storm, but I’m not going to do that, either. The best tactic to discourage trolls–and make no mistake, we’re dealing with misogynistic trolls–is to refuse to take the bait and engage with them. They feed off angry responses. It only works, though, if it’s a consistent, concerted effort.

Would we get modded if we followed every single troll-y misogynistic remark with, “A reminder: do not respond to trolls”? No names, no quotes, just that?

I do NOT want to see this board die, and I definitely don’t want to see it murdered by recalcitrant ignorance. No abandoning ship here.