My knife ( a rant and a lament)

I have a very nice pocketknife. It’s not an expensive one, or anything like that. It is however, a beautiful and perfect object.

It’s a Buck Slimline. It’s a single blade lockback about 4-5 inches long in the blade. Unfolded it’s a good sized knife, yet folded it’s slim and light enough to carry in a pocket, even in a suit pocket without noticeable weight.

I bought it for myself a while back, many years, and I’ve managed to hang onto it without losing it which is itself a feat.

I have a few key objects in my life that mean a lot to me, that I’m proud of, and that I care for. I have my cool cowboy boots that I feel that I’m entitled to wear as I have a legitimate claim as a cowboy (or think I do.) I have my watch, which I like quite a bit, and bought before I could afford it, my crappy pickup truck, a few other things,… and my knife.

I carry it with me all the time, every day.

I have an Arkansas sharpening Stone, and a leather strop and I used to keep it truly razor sharp, I mean so sharp the edge was soft and you could cut yourself without knowing it.

A great sharp knife is a fine and useful tool to have, and I’ve always carried one. I have never thought of it as a weapon, and I doubt that I would ever be so foolish as to attempt to use it that way, as both father and grandfather have stressed to me what a poor and stupid weapon a pocketknife truly is.

I used to use the knife a lot, for all kinds of things. Nowadays, I most open mail or cardboard boxes, or my daughter’s new toy with it. I stopped sharpening it, and it’s gotten dull.

Yesterday there was a horse expo in Harrisburg, and I took the family. While wife and daughter wer browsing I came across this exhibitor who was a knife sharpener. He looked like he knew what he was doing, and ho only charged a dollar to sharpen pocketknives. I handed him a dollar and my knife.

A moment later I watched in horror as he put my blade to a coarse grindstone. He handed it back and said “there you go!” with obvious pride in his work.

Tonight I’m looking at it with sadness. All he really did was roughen the edge so it’s like a damned ginsu. It’s all abraded so it cuts by sawing rather than slicing.

So, today I went and found my whetstone and I’ve been working on it for an hour, trying to restore its past glory. I’m getting there, but I have to cut a new less steep angle in the blade to get the result I want, and it takes time.

While sharpening it, I’m thinking about how times have changed and what it means. I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife to school. I’ve carried this very knife on board airplanes before without objection.

I was stupid to let that guy touch my knife. It’s my tool I should have cared for it myself if I want to rely on it. Similarly I cannot understand the stupidity of the idea that we will be a safer country if we don’t let people take pocket knives to school or carry them on planes.

Any idiot can do just as much damage with a pen as they could with a knife. They can do just as much damage by putting an edge on an old credit card. A belt with a good buckle is a more dangerous weapon.

A knife is simply a tool. It’s no more dangerous in and of itself than that belt with the buckle.

It’s how you use it.

We are less safe without these things.

Back to sharpening I go.

Well, if you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself.

I keep my pocketknife on a keyring with all my house-keys. It was a present from my husband, and I never want to lose it.

These days, this means that I’m breaking the law every time I step out of the house. But I still do it.

Flying has become a royal pain in the butt, since I have to remember (before leaving my car and trekking over to the departures lounge) to carefully remove it from the keyring (probably tearing a nail in the process) and hide it in the glovebox.

I love my knife. The pointy bits don’t usually encounter anything more exciting than cardboard-box plastic wrapping, but the phillips-head screwdriver on the other side has opened numerous computers and performed other valuable services over the years.

I feel your pain.

I’m reminded of the band Guided by Voices’ song in loving tribute of a knife:

“I wanna start a new life,
with my valuable hunting knife.
She will shine like a new girl,
and I wanna shout out our love to the world…”

I agree SCYLLA. I also have carried a pocket knife all my life!

In fact I feel naked without it in my pocket! It amazes me how many times I reach for it when I forgot it in my yesterday pants pocket or something. I just yank it out to open a letter or a box without even thinking about it.
I too have carried the same one for about 25 years and it is WELL used!

It is also a Buck,( three blade #303). The larger blade is used as a general cutting tool and kept reasonably sharp with a sharp point for a sticker picker. The utility blade is broken off at about an inch from the handle and works really well as a screwdriver. The small blade is kept razor sharp,(I have even shaved myself with it).

As stated before I have carried a pocket knife all my life, even to school and so did all my friends, it was expected and we NEVER thought it strange.

I reckon it is a sign of the times that a tool,dangerous as it may be, is now considered a weapon in the hands of the wrong persons.

Then again I grew up in Texas…

You have my condolences.

My keys are on a Victorinox swiss army knife, and my Gerber E-Z Out never leaves my side. I use one or the other for some mundane task every day and often find myself wondering what people who don’t have one do without it. Well, among my friends and family they just ask me to cut this for them, but other people.

My kitchen knives are mine and mine alone. Only I get to use them and I will clean them up and put them back after I do, something which cooks seem to respect and dishwashers can be made to understand.

Good luck with your reconditioning.

So have you gotten it sharp enough now to get those groundhogs under control?

Dang, that’s almost criminal. That’ll teach you to hand over your knife to sharpener without asking how he does his trade.

I’ve carried a jack knife since Christmas when I was 8 or 10, I can’t remember which. Either way, I got it from my Dad and I had to unwrap a ton of paper to get to it. I can still whittle a chain out of a length of wood. I remember my junior high principal and all of us guys got together to compare our knives and their edges.

My father is getting old and going for open heart surgery later this month. He’s quite a whittler and learned his trade from a preacher that used to whittle chains and stuff from totsie roll sticks back when they were wood. Now that’s old. :slight_smile: My father asked what I wanted included in his will. I would ask for his jack knife but he wears 'em out every couple of years so there isn’t one with history. What he does have is a bayonet, which is so sharp you can shave with. It was in his right boot (so he always had a weapon) during both WW2 pacific theater and Korea, where he saw serious action and the wounds are finally slowing him down. That was the only thing I asked that he specifically put in the will for me. I will pass it along to my daughter, and along the way hopefully pass some of the magic of her grandfather and his skill with taking a knife and a piece of wood and making something beautiful out of it.

I fly with two knives, three axes, a heavy flashlight, a flare gun, and sometimes even a real gun, and yet I get searched every time I fly commercially when I show my military ID.

I also used to carry a pocketknife to school, and one of my favorite toys (which I took to school a few times) was a VERY realistic looking UZI, complete with detachable magazine, working safeties, and simulated muzzle flash and realistic sounds. And the barrel wasn’t orange, either. If I were a kid now I’d almost certainly be in juvenile custody. And that coming from someone who’s never once seen the inside of a prison first hand.

Times have changed. It’s too bad nobody trusts anymore.

I fly with two knives, three axes, a heavy flashlight, a flare gun, and sometimes even a real gun, and yet I get searched every time I fly commercially when I show my military ID.

I also used to carry a pocketknife to school, and one of my favorite toys (which I took to school a few times) was a VERY realistic looking UZI, complete with detachable magazine, working safeties, and simulated muzzle flash and realistic sounds. And the barrel wasn’t orange, either. If I were a kid now I’d almost certainly be in juvenile custody. And that coming from someone who’s never once seen the inside of a prison first hand.

Times have changed. It’s too bad nobody trusts anymore.

My Dad gave me a Swiss Army knife (after he took away my machete). He told me he belonged to a secret knife club and that the members were required to carry their knife on them at all times. If they were caught without it, they were booted out of the club. His pen knife had a small diamond set in it. I never knew if he just made that up or if it was true. I stopped carrying my Swiss a couple of years ago.

Three axes? A heavy axe, a hatchet, and…?

I’ve tried to carry one but always either found it a little uncomfortable or I lost the dang thing. And then I’ll be somewhere and need it, like to gut the plastic straps off a toy so a child can play with it but I won’t have my knife, someone else will, and they’ll expertly whip it out and deftly cut the bindings and, suddenly, I’ll feel like I was born without any testicles.

Buck, eh?

his fruit axe of course!

That’s hipster-slang for electric guitar.

Daniel

That’s horrible, Scylla. 'Round here that’d be a fighting offense.

Wow. Just Wow. You are a very cool person, China Guy. :wink:

My maternal grandfather passed away in 1993 while I was away at college. When I was growing up, he and my grandmother lived three doors down from us – my sister and I were constantly at their house, cadging sweets and listening to stories my grandfather told. His pocketknife figures prominently in most of my memories about him; he was always opening packages with it, peeling oranges, using it as a screwdriver to open up the back of the radio so he could fix it… Especially how he would open Christmas packages. He’d cut through the tape as carefully as possible and he would never ever rip the paper itself. I think that was close to heresy in his book. I can still see those large, liver-spotted-but-still-strong hands of his slitting open those Christmas packages oh so carefully…

When he died, I asked my grandmother if I could have that black-handled pocketknife to remember him by. Nobody could ever find it. It’s amazing how much just the memory of a tool like that (and the man who used it) can mean to you.

2 things:

1. As a trained Filipino stick & knife fighter (Kali), I disagree completely with your sentiments regarding the efficacy and/or un-usefulness of knife fighting. I once had a 1/4 inch cut on my pinkie send me to the school nurse because it wouldn’t stop bleeding. What do you think a slash from elbow to palm would do if you put your hand up to block a knife attack? A pen cannot do that, nor a belt. That said, I carry my knife 99.99% for everyday stuff, but I have had it in my hand and ready to flick open twice because of dangerous situations. Luckily I didn’t have to use it either time, but I would not have felt nearly as safe if I didn’t have it- both times I was outnumbered 3 to 1.

2. I feel for your plight. I have a Benchmade mini-AFCK. When I first moved to Prague I didn’t bring a stone, so I went to a knife sharpener that 2 knife shops recommended…The Horror! The Horror! What a bastard…held the blade in one spot on a grinding stone for too long and put a divot in the side of the blade. I had to re-grind that and the edge out by hand. Probably took me over a week of hand sanding in the evenings. Ugh, never again!

I have a Lansky sharpening system, but it generally serves to piss me off more than it sharpens my knives. You can’t put a quick touch-up on a blade with it, you have to do a full 45 min. sharpening routine…I’m thinking of getting a Spyderco Sharp Maker, or maybe dropping the bank on a few grades of diamond sharpeners. I’d like something that I can quickly sharpen my knives with every week and after hard use. Any suggestions anyone?

-Tcat

I’ve had people bring me knives that they had previously brought out to be sharpened by that guy who wanders around with a grinding wheel and a bell.

The terror.

I do all mine by hand, of course. I work in a knive store, so I have access to all crazy kinds of fabulous things that improve my life. And every time one of my coworkers carelessly sharpens a spyderco or benchmade in the grinder, at too high a speed, and waves the edge, part of me dies a little. Every time someone brings me a knife with scratches on the side from improper use of a stone, part of me dies a little.

Every time someone brings me a broken knife they tried to use as a screwdriver or prybar, part of me wants to beat the hell out of them.

Sigh.

I was just thinking… a friend that gave me a really nice knife as a present sharpened it for me beforehand using something other than a whetstone. It consisted of two metal rods sticking up from a wooden block at angles approximating a “V”. He’d hold the knife near vertical and run each blade down it’s respective side of the “V”. Not only did it sharpen quickly but it sharpened well at just a fraction of the work a whetstone requires.

Maybe these things are heresy in motion to a true knife afficianado but I thought it was kinda keen. Might make at least a good intermediate tool to help your Stella get it’s groove back.