My Mama is gone

Last Saturday evening, my sister called me. She asked “are you sitting down?” ( never a good way for a conversation to start) She told me that one of the neighbors had found my mother had died in her sleep. The next 24 hours were numbness, shock, and confusion. We found out the EMT’s were able to start her heart & that she was on a ventilator, (they didn’t realize she had a DNR)
Long and short of it was that they were waiting for us (my brother and I) to travel up to West Virginia & say goodbye, & then turn off the machines.
We left Monday morning & got to the hospital at 4 AM on Tuesday. One everyone was there, my uncles, brother & sister, and I: we said goodbye, stepped out of the room so the could extubate her, and two days before my birthday, her best friend and I were holding her hands when her heart stopped beating for the last time.

Mama & I had a complicated relationship, but I loved her and I know she loved me the best she could. I prefer to remember the good things, that she donated blood and probably saved a lot of lives, that she loved animals and people ( you couldn’t go out in public with her without her either running into either someone she knew or having her strike up a conversation with a complete stranger.) She loved country music, she collected pigs, she had a pretty smile and a quick wit. These are the things I want to remember about her, not the bad things.

Goodbye Mama, I know you did the best you could and I hope you know that I did the same, but no matter what, I always will love you…RIP.

I’m so sorry for your pain and loss.

Sending sincerest condolences.

I’m so very sorry. :frowning:

Very sorry for your loss, and best wishes to your family.

{{{Pearl}}} I am so sorry for your loss. Your mother, you and the family are in my thoughts and prayers. You wrote a beautiful tribute to her. I hope that gives you comfort in the coming days.

May you have peace and light, and may her memory always bring you happiness.

My deepest sympathy. You will be in my prayers and thoughts.

I’m so sorry to hear this news. May she rest in peace, may light eternal shine upon her.

The next period in you life will be hard, take care of yourself, eat right and get some sleep. Mundane advice, but it doesn’t sound as if your mom would want you to get down.

{{{{Pearl}}}} I’m sorry.

So very sorry - Do take care of yourself.

So sorry. Regardless if the relationship was easy or hard, this is a difficult thing to go through. Be kind to yourself

I’m so sorry for your loss. You can get through this difficult time in your life. Take care of yourself and stay strong.

Sending my prayers and best regards for you

I’m so sorry - having just experienced this loss a few days ago myself, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone else. People say we’ll get through it though, and we probably will. Take care of yourself, okay?

Having lost my mother-in-law about a month ago, I understand how you feel. {{{{{Pearl}}}}}}}

I’m so sorry. Gentle hugs.

My condolences.

So sorry for the loss of your Mama. There is no one on Earth like Mama. Hugs.

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my mama 5 years ago and I still think “I’ll ask Mom, oh wait…”

It’s so fun to remember the good things about Mom, and what she taught me. Sounds like you are doing the same.

My condolences on the loss of your Mama,** janis_and_c0** . Take good care of yourself, and of each other.

Very sorry for your loss, janis_and_c0.