My mom is really sick

As I’ve posted before, my mother has multiple sclerosis. She went through a course of chemotherapy not long ago, and she’s gotten worse.

The drug has given her colitis, so she spends a lot of time in the bathroom. She’s not really all that mobile, so she’s had some accidents. The drug has also given her mouth ulcers so painful, she can’t eat. Her oral surgeon says there’s not a lot she can do for that except to use Orajel. Overall, what strength she had isn’t really there, so she spends a lot of time in bed.

It’s bad enough that the MS has destroyed her mobility; she’s pretty much wheelchair-bound and can’t navigate stairs anymore. She needs someone with her 24/7 and can’t drive. This last Thanksgiving, she had to talk my dad through making the sweet potatoes because she can’t stand long enough to do it, let alone put the casserole in the oven.

She’s talking about going to Europe to get a stem-cell transplant. I don’t think she can handle the induction chemo, but this may be her only shot at slowing the progression of the disease.

My mother is one of the most courageous people I know. When my brother and I were very young, she went to college and law school and she is now self-employed in the real-estate business. She’s putting together a multimillion-dollar shopping center. Now, she’s bedbound while she recovers from this “treatment”.

Good wishes and prayers are appreciated.

Robin

You got 'em from me, Robin. ODAAT

I certainly hope that something can be done to help your mother. This situation must be very frustrating for her. :frowning:

I’m so sorry, Robyn. My thoughts are with your family.

Robin, for you and your mother – courage, peace, healing.

For a brief moment I’ll be sincere. I wish you & your mom all the best. Rough times for you these days–be strong, the world is still a beautiful place in spite of the occasional darkness.

MsRobyn, I wish nothing but the best for your Mom.

I can’t send email at the moment (damn ISP), but I remember your kindness to me while I posted my suffering in a thread.

Thank you so much, Robyn, and I wish I could make everything OK for you and your Mom.

You have my thoughts and prayers too. ((((hugs))) to you and your mom.

Anna

I am sorry to hear you news. Sending healing thoughts your way.

You have my good wishes and prayers.

[MsRobyn], I’ve always admired you and your posts - I can only surmise that you got your gifts from this fantastic woman you describe as your mother.

Please know that whatever spirituality I have is directed toward you and your entire family, because it does affect everyone, but a special set of thoughts is headed out there with your mom’s address on it.

It sucks. No platitudes I can offer will change that. But my sympathy is there, as well as my healing thoughts, and I hope the idea of a complete stranger sitting for a couple of hours meditating on you and your extraordinary family helps a little.

All my best,

Inky

I’ll be thinking of her, Robyn. It hits a little close to home…my brother was diagnosed with an undetermined (the last I heard) form of MS a few months ago and has been getting steroid therapy the last few weeks.

You have both my good wishes & prayers, for reasons, more than one.

:frowning:

Best wishes headed toward you and your mom. May a miracle come your way as well.

You all have my prayers, good wishes, and deepest sympathy. hugs

You and all your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I’ll skip the cyberhug and give you the real deal when I see you next week.

Tried to fire ya an email but seems I can’t. I send my best of thoughts and wishes. {{{MsRobyn}}}

Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you and yours.

Sending my best healing wishes, strength, and peace and you Ms. Robyn. Your mother sounds like an incredible woman.

That should be to your mother and you, Ms. Robyn.