My Moniter is giving me migraines

When I use the computer at my job, I get splitting headaches. It’s almost like the screen is strobing ever so slightly. Is there a reason for this? Is it the display, or could it be something besides the computer, such as the florescent lights at my workplace? Help would be greatly appreciated.

where do you live? By law here in the UK companies have to provide you with eye tests/glasses for close monitor work etc.

Sure are a lot of monitor questions lately. Could be your monitor refresh rate is too slow for your eyes. What make, model & manf date is this monitor? THese things are written on the back.

I live in the US. I also don’t work for a company large enough to have tech people to help me with this sort of stuff or bosses worth complaining to. I think it may be something in the display of the moniter, but again, I can’t be sure.

I think Handy has it correct. Try increasing the refresh rate, it should take care of the flicker. Be sure your monitor can handle the higher refresh rate though.

In general the refresh rate is linked to your resolution. Most companies buy cheap monitors that do not have stellar refresh rates.

Right click on your desktop in some blank area (i.e. not on an icon) and select PROPERTIES off the menu that appears. Clikck on the tab labelled SETTINGS. In there you should see a slider to change your resolution. Lower it. 800x600 is fairly normal and most monitors handle it fine. 1024x768 is doable fairly often too. Above that and you generally need to get a better monitor and/or video card to avoid flickering. The lowest setting, 640x480, is generally too low for many applications today but nothing will stop working. Pick the highest resolution you can manage and still have everything readable as well as avoid flickering (note that flickering may not be apparent but still cause headaches…blink your eyes rapidly at the screen and you can get a sense of the difference in flicker between higher and lower resolutions).

Also, keep anything with a motor in it (fans and such) away from your monitor as they can cause the screen to wobble.

Also, make sure the rest of the lighting in your office is comfortable. That could affect your migraines as well, especially if the lighting is too strong and you’re getting glare off the monitor. Since I had the light directly above my work monitor taken out, I’ve had fewer migraines.

Maybe related… I have very slight astigmatism that only seems to affect me when reading for long periods of time. It went unnoticed because it did not ever cause ‘vision’ problems (nothing ever got blurry and I could always see perfectly). It DID cause my eyes to strain after a period of time and I would get horrible headaches and nausea when reading or working on a compter. Now I only wear glasses when reading or when at work (I work at a PC all day) but if you haven’t recently had your eyes checked it is worth eliminating that possibility.

I don’t know about refresh rate. The lowest I’ve ever seen is 50 Hz, which is still twice as fast as the human eye can detect. Unless watching TV does it too, I doubt that’s it.

It is almost certainly the refresh rate as others have mentioned.

Whack-a-mole’s advice is incomplete, though.

What you are interested in changing is the refresh rate, not the resolution, although they are often tried together. Follow Mole’s instructions up the part where he tells you to adjust the resolution. Instead, click “advanced”, then “monitor” and look at the number displayed in the drop down box. Most likely yours says 60 Hz. You will want to raise this to something over 72 Hz to avoid the flickering that gives you headaches.

If you cannot see any choices over 72 Hz, THEN go and follow Mole’s instructions to lower the resolution. Once you’ve done that, return to the monitor tab under advanced and make sure you can raise the refresh rate over 72.

Hope this helps.

QED I dunno where you got your info but it seems to be wrong.

Most info I have read suggests the human eye can detect movement and flicker up to 85 Hz.

Do a google search on refresh rate and you’ll see that most people recommend 75 Hz or better, and in fact VESA has made 75Hz the new minimum refresh rate to avoid flicker.

I am willing to bet it IS your refresh frequency. I have the same problem.* Some people’s eyes can simply detect a higher frequency than others. I go absolutely batty when I sit in front of a monitor that is 65Hz or less. 75 is much better, but still just “not right.” I can no long dected the blinking, but it just doesn’t look right (I’m sure it would give me a headache). 85 Hz is the best for me.

Follow Whack-a-Mole’s instructions, but then hit the “Advanced” button and try to find “Refresh Frequency.” Just start increasing it until you can stand it. You may need to lower the screen size because low-end video cards only allow high refresh frequency at 640x480 or 800x600 resolution.

Well, upon preview I see racekarl beat me to it. Well, let this post just second his advice.

OK, maybe it is the refresh rate. Just for kicks, I bumped mine down to 60 Hz, and I could feel my eyes starting to throb.

The problem with refresh-rate at about 60 is that it can create a “beat” with the flourescent lights. I prefer my refresh rate at 85 Hz, but it has to be at least 70-75 Hz or I’ll see the “strobing” described in the OP.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

It was the refresh rate. Shows what I know about computers! I never even knew such a think existed! Anyway, I set it to 85, and everything is better now. Again, thank you.:cool: