My new office is 200 yards from the Indian Ocean

Arrived in Colombo, Sri Lanka on Sunday for a diplomatic posting here. From my window, I can see frangipani trees, more palm trees than I can shake a stick at, and the Indian Ocean. Current weather is 31 Celsius, 98% humidity. I recieved my first administrative promotion today, ate lunch for 40 cents, and tomorrow’s my birthday. All in all, not a bad job, and a great place to live.

Anyone passing through (yeah, right, this place is f*cking miles from anywhere–25 hours on a plane from the States) is welcome to stop by, as we have two extra bedrooms we’re not using.

Any questions about Sri Lanka?

None from me. But gosh, I wish I worked in an office that had an ocean view.

Congratulations on the promotion, and happy birthday!

Congratulations! I’m jealous and still freezing in Canada.

• How do you keep cool?

• How do you dress for work, leisure and how does this differ from local attire?

• Do you feel reasonably safe?

• Lunch for 40 cents? Any other amazing bargains?

• I suppose the real question is “do you need a houseboy that can mix drinks”?

Lucky you.

For the better part of a year, my office was ON the Indian Ocean… then ON the Persian Gulf!

Not a question, but if I moved to Sri Lanka I would try to finaggle a meeting with Arthur Clarke.

Arthur C. Clarke lives in Sri Lanka?

I did an 8th grade social studies report on Sri Lanka. The only thing I remember is that it’s very easy to draw, comparatively speaking (my previous report had been on Sweden. Damn fjords).

200 yards? Thank god the Indian isn’t known for storm surges or typhoons. :smiley:

do you carry a life raft in your breifcase?

Now that’s the kind of report from the field I like to hear! I’ll be taking the Foreign Service Written Exam in two weeks time, so with some luck (and only a normal amount of red tape) hopefully I’ll have something similar to boast in 18-24 months.

Congrats on that promotion too! (do you mind if I ask what focus you’ve chosen? I’ve tentatively chosen the “Political” option)

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your view while living in a tropical paradise… while I am stuck in a windowless, doorless office in state-government hell.

Damn you, you lucky bastard!

Evidently since 1956

Hey there!

Congrats on your new posting :)My BIL is an embassy guard at the US Embassy.

You’re in good hands.

Diplomatic posting, eh? Are you allowed to say which country you’re working for?

How’s the Tamil seperatist/civil war/negotiated ceasefire thing going?

What languages are spoken in Sri Lanka?

Was it a part of the British Raj at one time?

Do they have the kind of up-and-coming software industry that
Bangalore does?

What are the major tourist attractions? Food? Cultural antiquities?

Do they drive on the left?

Any serious plans for a Beanstalk? :slight_smile:

and lastly…

Any job openings? :slight_smile:

Isn’t Sri Lanka having a few problems with riots and bombings and such? I know years ago it was a popular destination for German tourists and every one who went came back talking about how beautiful it is there.
But it seems I have been reading some bad things about the political climate there of late. If I am not mistaken, there were even warnings for American tourists not to go there at this time.

By the way…98% humidity is one thing I can live without!!!

My brother lived in Colombo (also with the State Department) and he said, compared to many of the other countries he’s lived in, that driving was a pretty hair-raising experience. Not so much because of the other drivers, but because of the bicyclists. Have you encountered this, or was my big bro just pulling my leg (yet again). Do you use a bike there?

Have you tried durian?

Sounds fantastic, False_God. Congratulations.

mrs jjimm and I are planning to visit SL in 2004 to kick off a world tour - if you’re still there I might take you up on the offer.

(DMark, there’s been a total ceasefire there for a few months now.)

Windowless and doorless? Do you climb through a trapdoor to get to work?

Me too! Good luck to us both!

eunoia

• How do you keep cool?

Cool? What means this word? A/C and fans, mainly, but it’s tropical.

• How do you dress for work, leisure and how does this differ from local attire?

Work is suit city, leisure is T-shirts and shorts. Local attire much the same, except men wear sarongs and some women wear saris.

• Do you feel reasonably safe?
    Hmm, I work behind about five security doors and am guarded by US Marines. On the whole, yep.

• Lunch for 40 cents? Any other amazing bargains?
    How about a gently used Mercedes for $2500?

• I suppose the real question is “do you need a houseboy that can mix drinks”?
    Applications are no longer being accepted at this time, sorry.

Sunspace:

Diplomatic posting, eh? Are you allowed to say which country you’re working for?
USA all the way.

How’s the Tamil seperatist/civil war/negotiated ceasefire thing going?
Well, they’re not shooting each other much anymore…

What languages are spoken in Sri Lanka?
Sinhalese by 74% of the population, Tamil by 18% and English my a lot. I speak Tamil, which is “unusual” for an American (like, it NEVER happens)

Was it a part of the British Raj at one time?
It was a Crown Colony, but the administration was different.

Do they have the kind of up-and-coming software industry that
Bangalore does?
No, because local education isn’t good enough and the smart people have left because of the war.

What are the major tourist attractions? Food? Cultural antiquities?
Tourist attractions include seven World Heritage sites, beaches and mor enatural beauty than you can shake a stick at. Food is similar to Thai and some Southern Indian dishes. Cultural antiquities are severely regulated by the government, and I don’t like old stuff anyhow.

Do they drive on the left?
For the most part, but it’s like rugby with cars more than like driving

Any serious plans for a Beanstalk?

and lastly…

Any job openings?
Yep, I need a driver. Or if you want to work in the Embassy, take the Foreign Service Exam.

DMark:
Isn’t Sri Lanka having a few problems with riots and bombings and such? <snip> If I am not mistaken, there were even warnings for American tourists not to go there at this time.

No bombings in Colombo for a few years now, and few riots that would injure foreign tourists. There currently is no Travel Warning, and in fact the country is begging for tourists.

Thanks, False_God. I checked the requirements for foreign service recruitment in my country, and unfortunately they included a bachelor’s degree.

Oh well. I guess I’ll have to attain my tropical paradise by other means. :slight_smile: