My Outer Space Number Is One Again

A former coworker of mine, Janet Kavandi, is back in space again aboard Space Shuttle Atlantis. She runs the robot arm to assist the spacewalkers. In her off hours she writes me friendly notes, asking my advice.

All of the foregoing is true except the part about the notes. She is technically a former coworker since we worked for the same group here at Boeing. I even actually met her once–at her farewell after she’d been selected as an astronaut. She even autographed an astronomy book of mine: “Always look to the stars! Janet Kavandi”. Hey, I guess that’s a friendly note! So it’s all true!

So if any of you need favors, gifts, personal appearances, etc. from the astronaut corps contact me. Bring large sums of money. And some for the astronauts too.

Can she make it flip the bird?

Can she make it flip the bird in the general direction of China?

Aw, crap. I thought this thread was going to be about the reinstatement of Pluto as a planet.

My college roommate grew up in Clear Lake, TX– literally right across the street from NASA. All sorts of astronauts live in his neighborhood. I used to think it was really cool to see them on TV and ask him about them. Comments were always something like “oh man, you should see the hideous shutters on his house. He may be an astronaut but man, he can’t paint!” The degree to which he was nonplussed by an astronaut was amazing.