My Phair Lady

Just wanting to see other Liz fans out there, what do you think is so great about her, and any interesting tidbits/factoids that might not be commonly known…? Feel free to share your favorite songs as well :slight_smile:

Only Son
Fuck and Run
Help Me Mary
Freak of Nature (WCSE outtake)
Dogs of L.A.

I haven’t heard her new album; for some reason I hesitate. Any good?

I find most of my favorites are from exile in guyville…

The new album is more poppy and heavily mastered, but still awesome…

I guess liz just can’t go wrong…

I think my biggest fav is probably stratford-on-guy…but from each album…dogs of la, headache, my bionic eyes…

She’s going to be in concert locally at Headliner’s in Louisville, KY on November 9. I’m looking for people to go with.

She’s hot.

Oh, and her new album is terrible. Joining the ranks of Jewel, Sheryl Crowe, Mellisa Ethridge, etc. You know, crappy old chick music. She will never again approach the excellence of Exile.

If you liked her first three albums, you’ll like the new one. It’s definitely more commercial, but there’s still plenty of dirty-girl stuff, and the songs are undeniably catchy.

I saw her in concert a couple of months ago. She opened with 6’1" and closed with Fuck and Run. Oh, and she came out wearing a see-through nightie over bra and panties with fuck-me boots on. It was awesome.

I find most of my favorites are from exile in guyville…

The new album is more poppy and heavily mastered, but still awesome…

I guess liz just can’t go wrong…

I think my biggest fav is probably stratford-on-guy…but from each album…dogs of la, headache, my bionic eyes…

I haven’t heard the new album yet, but Exile is probably the most-played CD in my entire collection. My favorite tracks are Fuck and Run and 6’1" – plus, y’know, who doesn’t love Flower – plus some stuff off of spaceegg the names of which I don’t know.

I’m sure I will buy the new album, but I’m not sure when. I don’t think she can be lumped in with Jewel, though, as a slightly older femal singer sexing herself up to emulate teen pop – after all, Phair’s bod has always been a big part of her image, and her songs.

–Cliffy

So…I guess she’s licked that stage fright thing then, I guess.

Her new album is a rather disappointing as a departure from her demo tape roots, but exactly what she wanted according to the interviews I’ve read.

Stratford-on-Guy is one of my all-time favorite songs. Exile itself is one of my all-time favorite albums.

I love whitechocolatespaceegg, maybe more than Guyville. The new stuff is okay, and after a listen or two they grow on you.

I’m still getting used to the new sound, but my wife is loving it. She bops around the house singing “Give me your hot, white come”. She loves pop. I liked the rougher sound of the older songs, but the lyrics are still better than the average pop song.

Hey, anyone that will do a cover of “The Tra La La Song” is okay by me.

Hey, I’ve got that CD with “The Tra La La Song”! Same one that has The Ramones singing “Spiderman” and Matthew Sweet covering the Scooby-Doo theme.

I believe your post contains a misspelling, StinkPop.

:wink:

–Cliffy

She is playing at the House of Blues in Anaheim soon, and I was just wondering what her new set list is like. Has anyone seen a recent show of hers lately? I am a huge fan of her older stuff and now that she is big and commercialized, I was wondering if she still plays songs like “Strange Loop?” or “Explain it to me,” or if she sticks to her more commercial songs.

I have all her albums and I was highly disapointed in her last one. It seems like Liz is trying to hard and is too much of an accomplished muscian to be singing songs about “why can’t i breathe when i think about you.”

Personal favourite: Stratford-on-Guy. Though, oddly, the visual image I always associate with it involved flying out of O’Hare.

Oh yeah, I forgot to include that Liz played at the 98.7 Star Lounge over summer and I was lucky enough to win a spot to go and watch her. She played for an hour for a crowd of about 20 and she hung out and chatted with us afterwards and took pictures and signed autographs. Her parents came and watched and she even brought her son. Ryan Seacrest hosted the show and after the show, I noticed that he was trying to ask Liz out on a date!

A lot of people seem pretty responsive to Stratford-On-Guy… Have you heard the girlysounds version as well? I just recently got unlazy enough to search for girlysounds, and I’m in love…I think the newer version sounds better, but for some other songs (particularly Shane) were better left alone.

You know, as much as I hate to admit it, this was my first exposure to Liz Phair. I knew who she was before that, but had never listened to her. I fell in lust after hearing it. And reading the liner notes. Anyone who flashes the engineers in the studio can’t be all bad.

I’m having a whooshy moment. Can you explain the joke?