My poor, defenseless, sweet puppy is gone.

My dog is gone… http://photobucket.com/gwyendolyn
So Friday at about 11 am I left the house to run some errands. I loaded the kid, the diaper bag, my purse…etc into the car. I never saw Scarlett, never even saw her. Normally she jumps into the car if the door is open, because she loves to ride. I never saw her, I would have stopped, and put her back into the house. She is totally a house dog, she has never even spent the night outside. I didn’t get home until almost 3, I unlock the door, no Scarlett. I call and I call, no Scarlett. After calling till my throat hurt, I called my boyfriend, who dropped everything and came home. We, with the kids searched a pretty large area, we have placed ads, and are going to make fliers, though there isn’t really many places to hang them around here.

I don’t have much hope at this point, I like someone got her. I am heartbroken, and I feel like the worst person in the world. I swear I never saw her, but that doesn’t make me feel any better. Today the youngest child (2y, who loved his “Car-et”), called for her all day, looked for her everywhere. I couldn’t possibly feel like a worse pet owner.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Don’t blame yourself. Things like that can happen to anyone =/

Man twice in one week for two Dopers-major bummer and I don’t know what else to say actually. She appears small enough that she could be hiding in the house somewhere, tho I am sure you already considered that.

I’m so sorry, Gwyen. Here’s hoping your pup is safe and you find her soon.

Oh Gwyen, I’m so very sorry. I can only imagine your pain/guilt. We have recently gotten two new Yorkie puppies and I’ve had a similar scare or two in the last few months. The little dogs are, well, little and damn fast. I’m constantly losing track of them coming in and out of the house because they can slip by my feet before I know they’re even there.

I’ll be hoping for a safe return of your little one. Have you posted any fliers in the neighborhood? Called Animal Control? Knocked on neighbors doors?

Baby animals are often more resourceful than we give them credit for. Some dogs are fed outdoors, and she may have found some food. If nothing else, someone may have been captivated by Scarlet and fed her, not particularly anxious to return the gem. Don’t beat yourself up…give it a little more time. If you hadn’t already, consider having a tag made for the pup with your name/number for easier return.

Here’s hoping that there is a happy ending.

I hope that she turns up soon. (hugs)

As the local dog rescuers, I cannot say this enough: All Doggies need a collar and tags with their name and a phone number on it at all times. In the last year we’ve caught 6 or 7 local dogs, all with no tags. Those who DO have them are back with the families in a matter of hours; those that do not, well, often end up at the pound after a day of babysitting and fruitless searching for their family.

Thanks so much, We are trying to stay hopeful. I hope that at least if she doesn’t come home, someone got her and is taking good care of her.
Yes we have made fliers, and knocked on doors, and walked the woods, and called the shelter.

And yes, all dogs should be wearing TAGS, please. I wish Scarlett had had a tag on.

Have you called your local police department? The one in my area keeps a log of found animals because a lot of people call the police department rather than bringing a dog to a shelter. They could take your name and information in case the puppy’s found.

Also, try posting an ad on Craigslist. It’s a long shot but worth a go if someone found the puppy and is actively looking for you.

Nobody should ever go through what you’re going through. I hope for all your sakes it turns out happily for all of you.

When you get her back - microchip her. Both of my cats can wiggle out of their collars in 30 seconds or less, so I chipped them!

Aw, sorry to hear this. I hope that you find her soon.
Don’t beat yourself up over it. It’s very easy for these little guys to sneak out the door with you.

Good luck, hoping for a happy ending.

My cat is a master at sneaking out between my legs as I open the door and has zero street smarts as far as traffic and dogs. So far I’ve been lucky and noticed he was out before he got far. Each little taste of freedom makes him more determined the next time, though.

Did you call the radio stations? I know I have often heard radio stations telling listeners about a lost pet in such’n’such area… might be worth a try…

I can only imagine the panic and heartache experienced in such a situation… if Chloe was missing, I’d be devastated. :frowning:

Sending positive thoughts your way,
Satellite^Guy

Gwyen, any updates at all?

I almost lost my Lab puppy (20 years ago) the first night when he almost strangled himself getting tangled up in a drapery cord. I can’t imagine what you are going through.