My Spybot S&D Says....

… I have about 11k unprotected files after I run immunize and that if I’m running Vista, other security services may not recognize these files and I need to elevate my administrator rights.

Anyone know how I can do this and protect my files, or do I need to worry at all?

Thanks!

Quasi

Start from a fresh boot, log in as admin, update Spybot S&D, run a scan/fix, and then reboot. Do NOT do anything but run Spybot (like web browsing, for example), because running as admin is like hooker sex without a rubber - high risk of infection. For good measure, you might consider repeating with a full AV scan, MalwareBytes scan, and other freebie tools. If you come up clean after all of those, your PC can generally re-declare it’s virginity.

Thank you, GiantRat,

I’ll do that now and report back.

Thanks

Q

No need for panic. All you need to do is launch Spybot by right-clicking on it, and selecting “Run as Administrator” to launch it. Then go back to the Immunize section and those 11 files will then get “Protected” status.

It’s even easier. Hidden in the options (might have to turn on “Advanced Mode”) is a part where you can run on next boot, and it will do that before loading most other stuff. You can also elevate the system resources it devotes to Spybot to max.

ETA: this is in response to GiantRat. Getting another like Malawarebytes definitely can’t hurt; they’re not like AV programs where you absolutely should not have two.

That box scares me a little with its warning about harming my computer if I don’t know what I’m doing.

Update: Spybot finds at least 25 instances of malware every time I run it, and when I try to immunize by doing a clean boot and run as admin, I still get the same amount of unprotected files.

I also ran maladware and they say I have a clean machine.

Thanks

Q

some of the items it is finding will often be cookies and other relatively harmless yet “potentially undesirable” items.

I’m wondering if it’s looking at my World of Warcraft files?

Thanks

Q

It probably is - it’s looking at most of what you’ve got on there. As mentioned upthread, a lot of what Spybot (and similar software) finds is relatively harmless (BHOs, cookies, etc), but can be nefarious at times. If you use the TeaTimer function that Spybot ships with, that helps with active protection (not bullet-proof but, hey, neither are condoms - never feel safe from bullets just because you have a jimmy-hat on).

Also as mentioned upthread - you can run multiple malware detection tools without much risk of conflict (and most of the AV conflicts have fallen away at this point, but not all). Try CCleaner, RegClean, and similar. They mostly just de-crapify the registry and startup list, but it’s surprising how much clutter folks accumulate over time. And some of the clutter is full of baddies.

Wanna thank everyone for the help!

GiantRat, I run CCleaner pretty much regularly and SSD daily now because it’s now finding more “baddies” than ever (26 today). I thought the “immunize” function would keep them out, but the same ones keep reappearing.

I like that word “nefarious”, and plan to use it as my “word of the day”. Today the word is “tragic” or “tragically”. I’ve been driving everyone crazy with it, because I use it every chance I get. For example, today D asked me if I enjoyed my walk/jog, and I answered, “Tragically, yes.” :wink: I just have to remember it, but I also enjoy using it in dialogue, even inappropriately:).

Thanks!

Quasi