My "T.A.M.I. Show" DVD Arrived!

Here’s a link to a thread started by randwill last December. There were maybe 9 of us who expressed interest, so I’m not sure this thread will take off, but…

IT’S AWESOME!!!

The picture quality is first rate. The sound, while mono, is FAR better than I thought it would be, and - best of all - it’s actual live playing. NO overdubs, NO lip-synching.

As expected, James Brown absolutely steals the show. But Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson are pretty impressive in their own right.

Imagine this lineup for one show: Chuck Berry, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Jan and Dean, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Marvin Gaye, The Beach Boys, the Supremes, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, James Brown, the Rolling Stones, and - oh! The artist who outsold all those performers at the time: Lesley Gore! :confused: Well, times were different. This was October 1964, only 8 months after the Beatles had appeared on Ed Sullivan.

It’s rather hard to imagine a time when Gerry and the Pacemakers were a bigger act than the Rolling Stones, but that was the case here. Nonetheless, the Stones acquit themselves well here. Keith seems to play all the lead, Brian Jones does rhythm duty for the most part. At one point my wife asked me, “Does that blonde guy with the tambourine still play with them?” I said, “Oh, no - that’s Brian Jones. He’s been dead since 1969!” :frowning:

So, anybody else gotten their copy yet?

Do Gerry and the Pacemakers really have the brass balls to play “Maybellene” after Chuck Berry has just played it?

Not only do they have the balls to play it - they segue into it! Chuck stops after verse 1 and Gerry begins with verse 2!

Remember, Gerry and the Pacemakers were being managed by Brian Epstein, and in those days, Epstein could pretty much call any promotional shot he wanted.

Yes. Great stuff. Got it yesterday.

Is there any word on if the sequel “The Big T.N.T. Show” will be released?

Aside: In his "How the Beatles destroyed Rock n Roll’ (misleading title) Elijah Ward notes how in 1964 this largely white middle class high school audience cheers just as loud for white and black performers. But if you go to Monterrey Pop in 1967 Otis Redding really has to work the crowd. And two years after that in Woodstock there is only a handful of blacks: Hendrix, Havens, Sly and the Family Stone who are performing.

The story is James Brown was PO’d about not closing and really went all out. The Stones were considering not going out after his “no one can make me leave the stage” performance. Although apparently afterward Brown did invite them into his dressing room so he was enough impressed.

I can’t wait to see it for myself. Seems it’s available on netflix, so I will be adding that to my queue. I love seeing old performances like this. I remember reading a biography of the Supremes where they were on a tour with Dick Clark right before Where Did Our Love Go came out, and on that tour, Gene Pitney was one of the headliners.

I also remember reading that when the Ronettes first went over to England, the Rolling Stones opened for them. That one’s not too hard to believe, though–they were mad sexy!

Ordering. Can’t not.

I’m pretty sure the Ronettes’ English tour was before this show, and there’s a lot of Phil Spector influence at work here. You can see Darlene Love as one of the backing singers, and the “house band” is pretty much Spector’s “Wrecking Crew,” feauturing Leon Russell on piano and Hal Blain on drums. Jack Nitzsche, Spector’s arranger, was the musical director for this show. Apparently it’s where Nitzche met the Stones, which led to his collaboration with them on “Out of Our Heads,” “Between the Buttons,” "Aftermath, " etc.

You’ll enjoy watching Keith with his Les Paul, and you’ll REALLY enjoy Brian Jones on the Vox Mark VI!!

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean to imply that that was related to this–just brought it up as an example of someone well known today opening for someone lesser known.

I’m quite sure it is related. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Stones’ involvement with this show was a direct result of their touring with the Ronettes in early '64!

Yeah - I saw the photos. Drool. I’ve actually touched that Les Paul (oooo; ahhhh) - it was up for auction a few years ago at Christie’s in Manhattan…

Now Sting will have to change his lyric to “James Brown and the T.A.M.I. show, new disc I got this year.”

Have you all spotted Teri Gar in there yet?

Was just coming in to say that now that lyric makes sense to me.

Terri Garr is pretty easy to spot, but damned if I can figure out which one is Toni Basil!

She was in a number of such shows back then. Nancy Sinatra points her out in the commentary of her NBC special DVD that came out a few years ago.

This photo by Dennis Hopper might help. Toni & Terri are in the back.

Holy crap! So is that Peter Fonda in the tub?

I had completely forgotten that Toni played one of the hookers (along with Karen Black) in Easy Rider!

Seems to be this guy.