"The T.A.M.I. Show" to FINALLY be released!

Woot! After all these years the “The T.A.M.I. Show” is finally coming to DVD. I’m not sure it was ever even available legitimately on VHS, though bootlegs abounded. The filmed (actually video converted to film) rock show features some of the biggest artists of the early 60’s in a concert in Santa Monica, CA, in 1964. The set features performances by; The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Lesley Gore, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, Billy J. Kramer, Smokey Robinson, The Supremes, The Barbarians, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Jan & Dean, who are also the hosts.

The set by James Brown and the Flames is worth the price of admission. This is why he was called “Mr. Dynamite” and “the hardest working man in show business.” The Rolling Stones had the unenviable task of following Brown on the show. It is said that Mick Jagger commented on what he learned from this experience - never follow James Brown.

It’s being released by Shout! on March 23, 2010. I saw this in a theater in 1964 and have since had to settle for poor quality VHS tapes. I hope the transfer for this new DVD looks better than what I’m used to, though the source material may not be that great to start with. I guess I’ll find out next year.

“Here they come, from all over the world…”

This is awesome news. I’ve only ever seen clips, so I’ll be buying this fo’ sho’.

Turn on my V.C.R., same one I’ve had for years
James Brown on the T.A.M.I show,
Same tape I’ve had for years

Beat me to it.

“When the World is Running Down” by The Police.

I’m reading Stewart Copeland’s autobiography at the moment, so it’s been running through my head.

At first glance I read it as “The T.M.I. Show” and I thought, um, yeah I’m gonna pass on that one.

I saw this in a theater in 1965 when I was eleven years old. The only thing I remember from it is James Brown. I’ll definitely being buying a copy of this DVD.

I’m in. Been following this, too…

I saw this in what we used to call an “art” theater in 1970, I believe. James Brown shows why he was “the hardest working man in show business,” but the Supremes do a fine job, too. And the finale where you get to see Mick Jagger and Diana Ross bump and grind together is pretty damned cool. I’ll be pre-ordering this!

Wow…great! I have an old VHS copy with parts of this and the sequel “The T.N.T. Show”. Hopefully both complete movies will get released as well. Awesome stuff.

I saw it when it first came out and knew then it was something special (very uneven - but special). For years I would tell people about it and they just looked at me. It came on TCM a couple of years ago late night. I woke up my wife to watch it. She just glared at me.

I am definitely going buy it.