My uneasy assimilation into the Apple Borg.

while i freely admit i am holding this grudge langer than i maybe should, i have never forgiven apple computer company for talking me into buying an apple IIc on time payments a month before they announced they were no longer supporting it.

nothing like a dead platform machine with a limited amount of available software sitting on your desk eating up a chunk of your hard earned cash every month to sour the relationship with the company that sold it to you.

lh

preceded by:

Quote:

Secondly and possibly even more glaringly, there is no antivirus program shipped with the Mac.  In today’s climate of non-stop worms, trojans and viruses, releasing a computer with no virus removal software is irresponsible on the part of Apple.  

That’s funny. I got Virex shipped with my eMac.

Yeah, Virex ::snicker:: It’s like Tiger Repellent. When you’re out late in the subway system, whack these two sticks together and you’ll never get attacked by a tiger.

Tiger?? WTF?!! I’ve ride the subway all the time and I’ve never seen a tiger!

Yeah, well that’s because there aren’t any tigers in the subways. But if there were, whacking these two sticks together would keep them at bay.

But…!? how do you know they work?

Don’t see any tigers around, do you?

From the article cited above:

This is either a poorly-informed (or deliberately misleading) statement. This reviewer is looking for the same brand-name to be available for the Mac rather than whether the utility is available (or even necessary).

Disk Defragmenter = Mac OS X automatically defrags on the fly. However if you like taking a day off running a program to defrag a computer, you can always purchase Tech Tools Pro

ScanDisk = Disk Utility (part of Mac OS X) does the same low-level repair. Just as in the PC’s case, if you are encountering huge problems that it isn’t able to repair, you call in the big guns. In the Mac’s case, that’s DiskWarrior
Norton AV = Norton AV :wally

Windows Update = Software Update (part of Mac OS X)

Ad-Aware = The Mac’s vulnerability to spyware is (almost) non-existant. For the extra-cautious, there is Internet Cleanup

On a related note, I would like to add that if a good deal of one’s time is spent running maintenance programs, one has a bad computer.

A previous poster mentioned that Macs are shipped with Virex. This illustrates another untruth to this review to say nothing that it suggests that all PC’s do ship with robust antivirus protection. As I am typing this, I just went to the Dell site to “buy” a Dimension 4700. I didn’t see any notation about bundled antivirus software. The only mention I saw was that when you’re checking out, you can choose to add “McAfee SecurityCenter with VirusScan” for $69. (OK, fellas, you can purchase antivirus software when you buy a Mac, too. Take your pick. Add this to the fact that (to date) there are barely any viruses that put the Mac at risk.

Sheesh!

The whole thing is tongue-in-cheek. You’ve been whooshed.

Notice he doesn’t say he spends a lot of time on his PC working. He spends a lot of time KEEPING his PC working. Which he doesn’t need to do on the Mac.

:smack:

That’s ok, I had to re-read your post a couple times to make sure I wasn’t being double-whooshed. :slight_smile:

Did y’all read their prior articles on the BarbieOS build of Linux for girls, and Windows NO, the successor to Windows ME?

Yes, I too am a Podperson! :cool:

Bank account is $250 poorer, pod is uploading as I sleep…

How 'bout their review of the G5 Powerbook? :smiley: