My videogame wish is...

Knights of the Old Republic III

I know there is supposedly a MMORPG in the works, but I want a KOTOR3 with a standalone, complete story arc that I can experience to the fullest as a single player. I am not really a gamer–I don’t even have a current-generation console, but I would buy a 360 in a heartbeat if they would put out another great KOTOR game.

True Crime: Streets of L.A. was like this, the main character was a cop. I remember there was some kind of law enforcement you could do while driving around (there’d be police chases you could join and stuff), and you could randomly frisk people for drugs/weapons and bust them. Unfortunately, it really wasn’t much different from GTA police missions when you steal a police car (except the other cops wouldn’t come after you for shooting criminals).

My wish is for a new X-Com game, with a similar isometric turn based system in place, but with a bunch of new features. Maybe have local police get involved on missions, or armed civilians. Be able to train soldiers during the geoscape. Be able to equip soldiers before battle and setup automatic reorder of supplies used in battle. Better physics for the environment to allow for more tactics, like being able to level buildings to take out the aliens instead of having them hide on the floating second floor, or soldiers able to take cover behind things.

I’ve tried running the old versions on my PC, it just doesn’t work right. It’s always way too fast and buggy. I loved the playstation version, but it’s way too expensive to buy on eBay. I’d spend that amount on a new one though.

You’d probably like Silent Storm. No geoscape, research or base building, but the combat is really top notch, you can level buildings to the ground if you want to, and the physics (while exaggerated for movie effect) are solid.

My dream game looks and feels like Oblivion, but you can rule a kingdom and send individual people or groups of soldiers out to do your bidding. Things take an appropriate amount of time to happen, and of course you won’t be able to trust everyone and everything that’s told to you. Or you can leave the confines of your castle/fortress and participate in things yourself. You’d have advisors, get regular reports on what’s happening, maybe have to deal with unrest and treachery in your own circle of confidants.

A squad-based turn-based combat game like a new generation X-COM.

Crayon Physics for the Wii.

Too late for it now, but this past weekend, the five game X-Com set (not like anything beyond the first two games, and maybe a bit of Apoc are worth playing), was on sale for $5 on Steam.

I hated buying games I already own (UFO, TFTD, and Apoc), but I hated more having the same problems fighting with the old versions, emulators, speed issues, and random crashing, that you have. So $5 was worth it. It’s usually $5 per game, and $15 for the full pack; I’ve so far only played about three months in UFO, but it worked perfectly - launched right up, good speed, savegames working correctly, and no crashes! I haven’t tested yet to see if the various bugs (like the prox grenade save bug) or technical limitations (especially 80 items) are still there.

It’s already on the way, and from no less a company that Stardock. It’s going to be great!

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

I would like a game wherein you run a country in a given time period (Medievial, Industrial, Modern, whatever) and you have free reign, with deeply detailed responses to changes you make.

Military would be part of it, if you wished. You could make yourself a superpower, if you’ve got the infrastructure to support it (or the Soviet Union, if you don’t. :smiley: but you don’t have to go that route.

You could declare yourself neutral to all war, and try to be Switzerland.

Commodities trading could be automated, or you could micromanage.

Basically, a giant incredibly detailed sandbox SimCountry with realistic reactions.

Never gonna happen though. Dang it.

www.gog.com Not quite ALL old games but their catalog is growing.

As for me, I just wish Alpha Centauri would let me play with all the factions -including the ones from the expansion - at the same time, not just 8.

It has pretty much already happened (although, granted, not *quite *that detailed). Paradox Interactive makes a whole series of games like this, with different ones for different time periods (changing when the basic social dynamics began to change). You can even transfer a save from the end of one game to the beginning of another, all the way from 1066–1964 or so. Google “Europa Universalis III” for the Renaissance. Google “Victoria: Revolutions” for the Early Modern Era. Those are my favorites; Victoria is harder, though. (You wanted detailed; these games are very hard to get in to. The review of Victoria commented on the intro showing a train by saying the game felt like being hit by one.)

Valete,
Vox Imperatoris

ETA: There is no win or lose, and you can literally play any country in the world at any particular year. Obviously, Spain or England are going to have a lot greater expectations for success than Outer Mongolia (playing a European country results in a more fun experience, but even then you can play a ton of small, 1-province countries, like different German states). However, people have managed to game the system so as to conquer the entire world in less than 200 years as a 1-province Irish country, but that requires purposeful exploitation.

I had just assumed that the steam version would have the same issues. After all, the X-Com collection re-release that I have was made to run in Windows and still had the issues. I didn’t expect them to change any code and figured they just took that same version.

Since you say it runs better I might give it a try, but I’d still rather have a console version, it’s uncomfortable for me to play PC games. My hand goes numb with the mouse. I forgot to mention a console version was part of my wish.

I have always been intrigued by this line of games, but never got the courage to try them out because apparently they’re real-time all the way, and I really hate that - esp. since they really seem complex and involved.
Since you apparently play them, maybe you’ll be able to answer my concern : can you pause the game at any time to issue orders ? Or is the game totally frozen when paused (if there is even a pause option) ?

Kobal2

The Universalis games are Real-Time, but you can make time go by almost as slowly as you want. And pause whenever you want as well (and set orders when paused).

So I wouldn’t let the Real-Time tag scare you off.

I just ordered EU III on Amazon for $9.99 shipped. Worth a try.

My favorite is Victoria, which could be downloaded. If you get that get the addon Revolutions. It makes the game so much better.

About Paradox: I have never known any other game company that takes the word of their players so seriously. On the forums, the head developer is an active member, so it’s very gamer friendly. Which makes sense though, they are a niche market and their fans pretty much buy every game.

Victoria is the hardest to get the hang of though. I’ve been playing for over four years off and on, but I still love the game. The area it covers is one of my favorite in history. Oh, and it’s an especially great game if you’re a history buff.

Cool, I’ll certainly give it a shot then - everytime there’s a thread on the TW forums bitching about Total War’s joke of a diplomacy, or its simple empire building/economy mechanics, someone points EU as the Holy Grail. I’m curious about how grail-like it is :stuck_out_tongue:

It may not be the Holy Grail, but they are really good games in that genre!

I say; give them a try! (and start with EU3)

Morrowind, but with classic D&D creatures - I want orcs and goblins and the like, but I want it on the Wii with a DDR-type floor mat I want the floor mat so that you actually have to walk/run to move and you can dodge blows realistically, and basically the same hand controls as LOZ:TP for sword/shield combat. Lots of minigames like those in LOZ:TOP.

My problem with the Universalis games isn’t the real-time (though I prefer turn based), it’s that the entire world is split up into millions of tiny provinces that need constant micromanagement. On top of the fact that every turn or so you have bizarre-ass alliances and declarations of war. The third time Denmark and the Zulu’s declared war on the Moldovia-Inca-Khmer Entente the eyes rolled back in my head and I shut it off for good.