My wife is 6 days past her due date.

That’s funny, because I was actually imagining you and the wife arguing about naming her Barack. :wink: How is Kali pronounced?

I was going to recommend a curry; but that’s my answer for most everything.

Rhymes with Wally. She’s the Hindu goddess of destruction.

Oh her. I’ve heard of Kali- very cool choice. I was going to say no mythology students are going to mess with your daughter, but they’re usually kind of nerdy anyway.

Did wonders for my pasta, though.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the baby comes on its own. I’ve had two induced labours and they SUCK.

I’m glad the contractions are coming - let us know how it came out. :slight_smile:
Both my kids were late, one two weeks (the doctor, clearly cut out for programming project management, kept on delaying the due date.) The second was induced because Labor Day was coming up. Both are now adults, and fine.

Good luck!

I don’t suppose this helps any, but with my 2nd baby, I had contractions 10 minutes apart for a full day before they turned into anything. :smiley:

However, I fervently hope for Mrs. The Cynic’s sake that this is not the case for her.

Worked for me and my daughter, both 2+ weeks.

Best wishes to the **Cynic **family.

Congratulations. I dig the meaning behind the first name.

True in my experience as well.

• Brandon, arrived a month or so past ETA

I was 2 weeks late and my mom had to be induced. I hope it doesn’t come to that with your wife and that she’s well on her way to having the baby. :slight_smile:

Best of luck to your wife and you. :slight_smile:

That’s a lovely name you’ve picked, Dio. Congrats to you both on Kali’s impending arrival.

The contractions stopped last night. :frowning:

We’re probably going to have to induce.

ARGH! That phrase drives me nuts. You don’t have to induce just because the doctor says so. Normal gestation is anywhere from 38 to 42 weeks. Did she go early / late / on time with the others?

Both the others were a week early, and we aren’t inducing because the doctor said so, but because my wife wants to. She’s been in extreme discomfort for over a week now.

Wow, been there. I went through that with both. I kept hoping that #2 was going to be early - he was HUGE and I was in a lot of ‘discomfort’ although I called it pain. Poor Mrs. Dio.

Every day that I went over felt like an eternity. My midwife wouldn’t even think of inducing until 2 weeks overdue…luckily, I went on my own before that. I even tried going to the movies, thinking that, with my luck, the first time in ages I’d been able to get to a movie by myself, I would of course go into labor. (This was with #2. #1 was only a day late, and I was actually content to let her take her time…at least for a few days.)

Didn’t work.

I will say, though, that I had no warning that labor was approaching—no contractions that petered out, etc. Once they came on, they heralded the actual appearance of baby.

Good luck to you and Mrs Cynic and the little Cynics!

Kali is a beautiful name. Although, and you’re probably already aware of this, it does have a less positive meaning as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_(demon)

Wishing you and your wife the best!

Thinking good labor NOW thoughts in your general direction. I hope things go smoothly. [sub] God, how I hated the last month of pregnancy. I have a ton of sympathy for your wife.[/sub]

I was born 3 weeks late with no complications. Is there a certain point in gestation where it becomes medically necessary to induce?

And chiming in to say I also like the name, although the first thing that spring to mind is this scene from Temple of Doom.

Nothing is happening tonight. It looks like we’re going in tomorrow morning for sure.