My wild, insane week. Long, no TLDR.

So I literally started a pit thread two Sundays ago and promptly dropped out of sight. Given the length of this, I didn’t want to put this in that thread as explanation, but felt the participants were owed one, so here it is.

And, for the vast majority of you not interested in my Pit thread… following is one complete, absolutely fucked up story, with three bank frauds, two of them involving me as the victim in separate cases, a business shakeup and restructuring, my daughter’s first true rock and roll concert (5SOS), and ending with me starting a case to arrest one, maybe two people whom four days ago I would have counted among my best friends.

And about 100 hours of work. At least.

No TLDR other than above. I lived it, you read it.

Sunday, 9-11: Canvassed another 50 doors for Hillary after posting pit thread (about Hillary supporters who whine online without doing GOTV/campaign/messaging work), washed 2 cars, cut grass, worked on marketing and sales program for business.

Monday, 9-12: Was told by partner that we are moving the business to his house, dropping our offices in Boerne and laying off two people. This is to be done by September 30th, a date, by the way, critical to the marketing and sales program. Much of what was decided was based upon my recommendations, but the suddenness of it was surprising.

Went to Wells Fargo with evidence of bank fraud committed against me in 2011 (when I applied for a mortgage from them). Like the 5,300 who were fired for opening up and closing accounts, a man did that to me in 2011 - I complained, filed a formal complaint, but he was still working there as of Monday.

So I walked in with my emails, my logs of my calls with their corporate complaint department, the account passbooks, the debit card, and ask to see a manager. The guy comes to me and I say, “Sorry, another manager.”

The poor lady just shit a brick. Immediately processed a call to, I think, Dallas, bypassing her district manager (which she’ll likely get some shit for.) I went through case, told them they need to review every transaction they allowed this man to make since 2011, when they last ignored me.

Tuesday, 9-13: Phone call with a top-10 petroleum company with VP of “I control the bux.” Was able to steer conversation from one proposed project to a series of three proposed projects, with the scope of the first project effectively increasing in size no less than 50%. Also got them to agree to 3-hour workshop this week (tomorrow, Tuesday, in fact) about the first project. 3 VP’s are scheduled to attend. We’re talking about up to $250k in billings for these three projects.

Sent 200+ emails to county-level Democratic party groups offering route optimization services, first 5,000 listings free for first 5 respondents. Got 12 respondents, including Bexar County. Scheduled appointment to meet with them on Saturday.

Wednesday, 9-14. Preparing for petroleum company meeting, was asked by local politician to assist in an exploratory committee for their run for the mayoral spot here in SA and to help set up office. Also took my daughter and friend to 5 Seconds of Summer concert.

Thursday, 9-15: Sister’s birthday: made 4 attempts to reach her, no response. Even talked to the kids nanny. Sigh…

Received phone call from ex-VP of our neighborhood association, the Tanglewood Resident’s Association (TRA): he had heard rumor that the Treasurer of the San Antonio Firemen and Police Pensioners’ Association (www.safppa.org) had stolen up to $70,000. This Treasurer happens to be the Treasurer of the TRA as well. Went to bank. Found out things. Bad things.

Called other Board members as we had a Board meeting that very night. Went to Board meeting, Treasurer (and spouse, who happens to be the President of the Association) cannot give financial report due to computer problems. (hammer to hard drive, I suspect, but have no proof.)

I am a signatory on this account, by the way, though I have never made any payments from it. With only 90 members paying $17/year each, there’s not a lot of money in this thing, and most of it goes to four items: power, water, National Night Out, and our Christmas Light contest.

Friday, 9-16: Over the entire day, called lawyers, detectives, for advice on handling this. Went to bank, requested all documents, found the following: Funds from our account being paid to SAFPPA (the organization she stole from). Forgeries of checks in my name (no attempt to mimic my handwriting). Debit card purchases like it was their home account.

Found out that there is an internal struggle at SAFPPA (again, we are “TRA”, not these guys) and that some people want to have a vote of confidence for the entire slate of Board appointees. The President of the association is one who wants to keep it quiet (I think I know why, but cannot say… for now). Other people want to blow it open and have her arrested.

Also, went to work, because that, too, is a thing that needs doing.

3:30pm Got call from press: reporter is getting onto this story – the reporter knows a fair amount, the other group doesn’t want to press charges, a number of members are pissed about this (which is, apparently, how we found out), and they are using the press to force the issue. Talked to reporter, gave him confirmation on info he will find in a filing anyway, no details, but I did tell him that I would keep in touch.

Story is to be released Saturday evening, 7pm, online. That’s our deadline for the next 27 hours.

6:30pm Had emergency Board meeting. Voted couple out. Voted them off the bank books. Voted to approve an audit. Voted to approve the compiling of data for presentation to the District Attorney.

Night: Wrote letter to couple explaining Board decision and motions, communication methods, receipt of our materials, deadlines, etc. To use a phrase from history, it was a “most formidable document.”

Saturday, 9-17. AFTER MUCH STRESS AND DELAY, finally got minutes to Bank at 1:15pm, taking couple off account access. Received big old stack of checks from yesterday’s request. Also had disagreement with a Board member as to whether to send this letter. I didn’t talk to three attorneys and two detectives, asking all of them “What is your best advice on how to approach them”, for nothing. Anyway, got the other Board member to approve the letter before she raised her voice, so she was effectively voted down. (Her argument was that notifying them that we know would cause them to destroy evidence. My counter was (a), we addressed this already in the letter, (b), destroying evidence is itself a crime, and (c), since this is a financial fraud and forgery case, the evidence that matters most of all is the electronic tracking that is impossible to erase – video at ATM’s, check copies, debit card PIN numbers, electronic signatures, more. Not that the granny panties she bought aren’t critical to our case, but they’re not going to convince a jury. A forged $3,000 check convinces juries.

Had to cancel meeting with Bexar County Democrats because of above meeting minutes. Lost 15 hours because…. Calm down, JohnT….

3:15pm Went to couple’s home. Handed letter with copy of minutes to husband. Talked very little, total time was no longer than 90 seconds. No wild accusations, just mentioned the story being released in 4 hours, we had an investigation, and the results of that investigation resulted in an emergency Board meeting, and here are the results. He said he was disappointed in his wife, which would’ve caused internal bleeding had I not been prepared and prevented my eyes from rolling as much as that statement required.

4:00pm Wrote statement to Association members explaining the issue and our resolve. Get it approved by Board. Board also approves decision that member statement will also be press statement.

7:00pm Article goes on newspaper website. Treasurer accused of raiding police and fire pension fund

(Many people can’t see the article. Don’t know what to tell you. I know how to break the WaPo and NYT “you’ve seen this paper too many times this month” wall on a cell phone, but I don’t have a problem with this site so I don’t know what to tell ya.)

7:05pm Statement is released to members via email, posted on our website at 10:00pm

Sunday, 9-18

3:00am Newspaper hits streets. Front page news, I’m quoted.

8:00am Skipped church, phone calls start coming in, explaining things throughout day, making same plea: “if you know of any attorney or CPA who is looking for some high-profile pro bono work, let us know!”

Research Lien laws in Texas

Research Forgery and White Collar Crime filing requirements for SA Police Department.

Begin to write Affidavits for above.

Write Notification of Lien, in case it’s required.

Prepare documentation for 7:45 meeting with SAPD to officially file charges.

Assign other Board members document preparation duties.

Took dog out for brisket – got a ½ pound at Ruby’s and sat on the tailgate, sharing food, me and my Scottie.

Monday, 9-19

7:45am Present evidence to three SAPD detectives. Everything they need we either have prepared or the Bank is working on getting it for us.

File charges against people whom, the previous Thursday morning, four days prior, I considered friends and (relative) confidantes. Told the detectives I was going to pursue the forgery, no matter what. There were three of them – 1 to ask questions, the second to write down answers, and the third to just look at me, see if I’m nervous or hiding anything. I talked to the third person the most.

Call other organization, talked to 2 members. The President wants to bury this, was not at all happy with my statement that we are going to pursue prosecution no matter what, and was REALLY unhappy when I told him that, if the couple told their group that our Association agreed to any terms, this was not truthful as none of the Board members were aware of any problem, much less made any vote involving SAFPPA. The other member, a lawyer of some repute here in San Antonio, is quite irritated at the President and is glad that I’m pursuing the case.

I’m not, of course. But what has to be done, has to be done.

Will have evidence prepared and affidavits sworn to by this time next week – we all have our assignments and our only chance of getting $ back is getting this criminal judgment, then slapping a lien on their house and/or future earnings.

And you know what? I WAS GOING TO RESIGN IN THREE FUCKING WEEKS!

… deep breaths…

So… how has your week been?

Shit, didn’t even go into the National Night Out celebration which is in, :checks watch: , 2 weeks exactly. $800 budgeted, 2 sponsor checks stolen (including a Senator’s), $11.53 in the account, sorry neighborhood but your party got stolen.

And, yes, I’ve already contacted the sponsors and let them know about their checks. I didn’t mention this as the above was just a partial list of the things I had to do this week.

Yikes.

I often do not agree with Slacker in a lot of threads, but he nailed it here: Yikes.

Suspect that things will be on a rollercoaster for awhile, moments of quite interspersed with great bursts of activity. Hang in there.

Looking at the other orgs website:

1. She is still listed as Treasurer.
  2. No announcement or statement.

Perhaps losing $70k isn’t as big a deal as I thought.

Is she being prosecuted?

By me and the TRA, yes. We’ve made a motion to that effect and approved it. It is the only way we can claim damages and restitution on future earnings.

I want JohnT in my corner if poop ever hits the fan!

Just got bank docs.

Jesus. H. Christ.

Untangling this mess will be easier if I have attitude of “what would I do if I don’t know what I’m doing, and am stealing $ from 2 orgs?”

I am disappointed in Christina’s behavior.

Go, John!!

Well, I just spent the last hour cancelling our neighborhood’s block party that was scheduled for next week.

On our books:

Cruises
A down payment on a car
Food, food, food.
Jewelry

I mean, it’s like an episode of Cliched Financial Scams or something.

If the guilty party was mingling your funds with the other org’s funds, or swapping money back and forth, the President of the other fund probably won’t be able to hush this up.

Have you shared those docs with the irritated lawyer of some repute from the other org?

Sorry about your neighborhood party.

I’ve shared these documents with the San Antonio Police Department and my lawyer.

I’ve talked to the President of the SAFPPA, including an attorney who may come to represent them. So they know there is forgery, co-mingling of funds, etc as I have told them. It looks like, once things were out of control, she was shifting money back and forth, to make obligations while keeping the deception going just a little longer.

Same thing with the couples’ attorney, who called me on Wednesday. He apparently didn’t know there were forged checks, gave me same bullshit about selling their house to get the money, and was made aware that there were documents given the couple… which they had not disclosed the existence of.

Regardless, to answer your question, nobody (except for the PD) has asked for documentation.

Heh. I wonder if the couples’ attorney was revising his opinions about his clients’ ability to pay for his services.

Well at least you’ve got a nice juicy chapter for your memoirs. Keep us posted, if your lawyer allows it. And as a fellow Democrat - I thank you for finding the time to work for the Party.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to pursue this. Too many people are willing to let things slide in the hopes the offenders will ‘have learned their lesson’.

The only lesson learned is that they can get caught and not suffer serious consequences.

Your actions now may very well save your community from larger problems later. You’re into politics. You know what people like this can do once they enter that field.

You may be saving a lot of people a lot of grief.

I appreciate your efforts.

I will say, this is the one thing that has puzzled me the most: people assume this couple is going to sell their house, and have $90,000 plus of the proceeds of which to pay us back. The lawyer, and the other Association people, has assured me that this is the plan. When they tell me this, I retort with the following 3 points:

1. If they had $90,000 of credit available to them, they would not have stolen $90,000. More likely, we are just the latest in a long line of defaulted debtors.
  2. Why sell the house? Why not just take a loan out on it? (Obviously the fact that they’re taking out a mortgage to avoid prosecution doesn’t look well on an app, but fuck 'em.)
  3. A simple review of County property tax payments have showing the following: she owned her house up to 2007, took out a loan with Litton Financial, and since then, that mortgage has gone through a series of loan providers of increasingly dubious reputation. It now resides with Ocwen Financial. It is highly doubtful that there’s $90,000 of equity in this thing.

I asked, and neither the lawyer nor the other Association bothered to do this. Their lawyer is YOUNG, working for his father’s firm. Not to say that he isn’t skilled, but he did tell me they hadn’t looked this up. And the couple haven’t given him documents. And that they didn’t tell him of all potential charges. Like I said… young.

Is she in jail or out on bond?

Nice thing about them having a lawyer, I now know who to communicate with when things need to be addressed: why, just yesterday he found out that his clients likely stole a $100 check from a Texas State Senator.

No arrest yet. Financial fraud cases work slowly, go to the DA, then the grand jury. SAPD can arrest her on the forgery, no doubt, but it’s the fraud they want and it’s the fraud I’m giving them.

The fact that they stole from retired, pensioned First Responders, and that THAT organization doesn’t want to prosecute, makes the police’s interest in this case very high.

I’ve got lot’s of nice juicy chapters. I want one where I’m rich as fuck, though. Haven’t had that, yet. Working on it!