I received a membership to my local gym as a birthday present from my wonderful fiancé. I have gone to this gym in the past and I like it. It’s busy, but not too crowded. The machines are all state of the art and there are enough free weights to keep my old-fashioned sensibilities happy too.
So what’s the problem? Well…there is no problem until I get to the locker room. For some reason, the locker room at this gym seems to always have out of shape naked guys standing around.
Now, I’m not shocked to see nudity in a locker room. There are showers and people changing clothes, I understand that. What I don’t understand is what greeted me in my triumphant return to the gym’s locker room. There was a guy simply sitting on the bench, completely naked. He was staring at the locker door in front of him. I changed into my workout clothes, fished out my headphones out of my bag, put my stuff into the locker and headed out to rejoin those who are at least trying to stay somewhat close to fit.
The guy didn’t move once in the all that time, which was maybe 2 minutes.
This bothered me for a few reasons.
- Sir…You are sitting bare-assed on the bench. That can’t be within the rules. Sit on a towel. Or better yet…Put on a robe. How about getting dressed?
- Sir…Why are you just sitting there anyway? Are you done with your work out? Do you have anywhere to be? Are you considering the décor of the room?
- Sir…You are fat. I don’t mean to offend anyone, I’m just pointing out that seeing a naked man sitting down who is so overweight that his belly rests upon his lap is just something I don’t want to see. This is not to say that I want to see any naked men–I don’t–It’s just that when you weigh 300 pounds and you sit naked in the middle of the room, you’re hard to miss.
All right…maybe I’ being a little petty. The guy probably just had a tough workout and was catching a breather. Being overweight, he might have needed more of a breather than I’m accustomed to. I dunno.
I proceed to workout for about 90 minutes and then head back to the locker room. All is well. But wait…standing there chatting are…2 naked guys! Are they getting dressed? No. They are talking. Just casual chat. Now before you paint the mental picture, let me fill in some details…these men were older than me…at least in their mid-40s. Although not in the same class as the guy sitting on the bench earlier, they are still quite out of shape.
This appears to be a trend. Every time I’m in that locker room, there is an old naked guy. If the guy is even close to being in shape, he seems to get dressed right away, but if he’s overweight? He’s hanging around. Yesterday I saw a guy fixing his hair while naked. The day before there was a naked guy who took his bag out and rifled through it for the entire time I was getting changed…Why?? Your clothes are right there. Put them on & then search for your watch or whatever it was you were looking for.
The really in-shape guys who emerge from the showers? Covered in a towel until they get dressed.
If I’m naked in the locker room, I tend to be in a state of transition. I’m naked now because I’m endeavoring to not be naked very soon…I’m changing. I’m putting on clothes. I’m toweling off. I’m not sedentary, simply existing in a state of nakedness. I’m not chatting with another naked guy. I’ll fix my hair after I get dressed.
At home? Okay, do what you want. In a room full of strangers? Not for me.
Okay gym-goers. Here’s my questions…
- How casual are you with being naked in your locker room?
- What age group do you belong in? Are you under 25, 25-35, 35-45, 45-55, older than 55?
- Do you notice a trend among the naked folks in your locker rooms the way I have? If so, what kind of trend?