Name for end piece of bread?

I’ve always called it the Heel, and so does everyone I know.

The only alternative name for it I’ve come across is from the book Family Words, where a woman volunteered that she called the “Bunce”, a word she said she made up so as to have something nicer than “Heel” to call it.

I make croutons out of my “heels”, or little pizza’s. I save about a weeks worth, -we go through 5 loaves a week at least, and on saturday, I make any different kind of pizza’s, from traditional to dessert–the “crusty” part of the heel is on the bottom, and it won’t leak! REALLY GOOD!

Same here, only I was 30-something and it wasn’t your son, but the SDMB.

Putka sounds a little too much like puta for me.

Does it not bother you that a piece of smelly bread is rubbing up against the slice next to it? What do you call the slice next to the smelly slice?

I, too, call it the heel. I refuse to call it butt.

Does that mean that the loaf has a butt at both ends?

:smiley:

Try this. I bought one for my mother and she loves it.

I’m liking ‘shpitzel’ myself. I know it’s formally ‘heel’ but I think ‘end crust’ pretty much gets the message across.

I discovered this several years ago myself. I found it to be a regional thing. I’ve always called it the heel (I’m originally from Oklahoma). A good friend of mine from Pennsylvania always called it the crust.
E3

I’m Polish on both sides, and I’ve never heard “putka” before in my life.

I call it the “ass-end” or butt.

It smells? It smells like bread.

I was going to recommend bakersedge.com (for the chewy-brownie-edge-on-every-piece), but see I was beaten to the punch.

Count me in with the people who always called it the heal.

[GuinnessGuys] BRILLIANT! [/GG] I’m not sure if it’s worth $34 (plus whatever shipping is), but it’s a close call…

And as long as we’re still polling on bread terms, it’s “heel” for me.

The “heel” by any other name is still a heel. Or so it has been for some 70+ years.

MINE!

Seriously, I have always heard it called the “heel.”

I NEED…!!!

As for bread: I call it the crust on a loaf of sliced bread and the heel or the butt on a baguette style bread, mostly depending on who I’m talking to or who is around me at the time. Sometimes I’ll even simply call it the ends… I’m not very consistent!

<emphasis mine>
badchad?

I’ll fight anyone who doesn’t call it the “heel.”

Same here.

That’s all it is really, one big piece of crust.

My mum always reffered to the ends of a loaf as the “Toppers.”

Peace - DESK