Name that food from my childhood

Shashlik?

How big were they? How thick were they? What shape were they in? To me, it sounds just like a burek. Greasy, meat & onion, filo-type dough, served in wax paper. Can you be more descriptive?

Wasn’t Doner Kebab?

mm

Sudoku?

Only a wild guess along your German thought.

They do have Fleischtasche which means meat bag, and is used to describe meat in a pocket. Considering all the dialects of German like plattdeutsch and murdering in Americais it possble it got tortured and mumbled into what you remember hearing?

Doners are yummy, but aren’t served in filo dough pastry, as the OP states.

I used to love a similar treat at Renaissance Faires–it was called Toad in A Hole.
mmmmm…ribit…mmmmm

They were about the size and shape of a poptart, but twice as thick. Not spicy at all, and I remember the dough was folded around the filling, and would blister up when ?fried?. (reminds me of a deep fried burrito)

Burek seems similar in construction, but I could swear the name was fleischkiekla or something.

Fleischtasche is very close, and that led me to Fleischkuchen, which would be a meat cake. This is the closest I’m come up with so far. Google isn’t much help here, as the search results are all in German, and about a band, as far as I can tell. I am still open to suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in.

This just in, Surly Dad has stated that they are in fact German, and can be attained at the Dairy Queen in Hazen. His Ideas on spelling haven’t helped. He is definitely saying fly-shkeek-la though.

Okay, it’s called Fleisch Kuechle. I found it in my grandma’s old family recipe book.

I’ll post the recipe if anyone’s interested, or we can just let this thread die out…

Thanks to everyone.

The Recipe, Damnit!

Yes! Now!

Er, I mean, pretty please?

Meat, flaky dough, onions, enough grease to soak through paper – yes, we want the recipe!

Here in Bogota, we call them Empanadas de Carne. Delicious! :wink:

OK here it is. A disclaimer first though. This is from a family cookbook compiled in 1972, three years before I was born. I cannot be held accountable for spelling or typo’s. The units are American, and burning-hot fat on your crotch is no fun. Use common sense.

If this needs to move to CS that’s cool.
Fleisch Kuechle

Filling
Mix together 2 lbs. Hamburger ( ½ ground beef, ½ ground pork ) 1 small onion, grated, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tablespoons hot water, and one egg.

Dough case
3 cups flour
2 eggs
½ cup cream
½ cup milk
1 cup cold water

Mix the flour, salt and eggs with enough water and cream mixture to make a dough to roll. Roll into circles about the size of a pie plate. Spread a thin layer of meat mixture onto half of dough circle (try a walnut sized ball flattened to fit). Fold the dough over the meat mixture and seal by rolling a smooth edged saucer around them to cut even and seal.

Deep fry in hot fat, turning once.

Enjoy!

They sound like Cornish Pastys.

Deep fried !

Actually, there seem to be variations on that all over Europe, at least. There were two chain bakeries in Europe that offered the same thing under the name husos taska, or “meat bag,” directly analagous to wolfman’s Fleischtasche. A burek (which I initially suggested) is bigger and made with a very very thin filo/stuedelt-type dough.

Now if I can just work in some bacon and nacho cheese…

Klauh Kalesh