Names you associate with "white trash"

Blanche is good.

Any two-syllable name followed by another one-syllable name.

And there’s the ever-popular “Bubba.”

Nola, Nola Stienkie. Thats a real person by they way. I worked with her at a Fred Meyer store in Spokane. She was late forties, about 5’6" built like a refrigerater with a head. Her husband Duke was sort of semi-employed, he got fired from jobs alot, so he hung around the house all the time.She once asked one of the women at work who had recently dyed her hair if she “Mixed a double batch to dye the snatch to match”. She drove an old pick up truck with a shovel and a broom sticking up out of the bed.

Faith, Chastity, Hope, America.

Florence or Flo
Mabel
Marge
Doris
Rhetta
Lou
Billie
Jo Lynn
Ida

Bubba Sue (just kidding).

I’ll second both the experience and the names. Out of those mentioned, I’d vote for Francine.

mavis
becky

We don’t cotton much to you uppity big city story writers here in IMHO. Why don’t you come along real peaceful-like to the county line, and you can go bother those furriners over in Cafe Society.

If you want to be a good writer, avoid stereotypes. If you character lives in a trailer or if she is physically unattractive, giver her a beautiful or elegant name. Much better.

Bobbie

Bobbie Sue
Bobbie Ann
Peggy Sue
Birdie
MetalMaven

Dangit, Czarcasm! I thought long and hard about this one, and figured since it was a poll it woul suit IMHO.

And this character does not live in a trailer park. And I’m not going for “good writer” status here… I think a “good writer” would look down their nose at my story.

Delightra
Pearlette
Blondeen
Wenderella
Dawnelle
TaffiLyn
Florabelle
Clitoris
Aquanette
Bimberly
Ralphene

I have no idea if these people are white trash or not, but they are but a small sample of actual names from the Utah Baby Namer. I’m not saying that Utahans are white trash, they just name their kids that way.

I know of someone exactly like that. The last names have been changed to protect others from her.

Earline Jones. Born Earline May Jackson. Married Smitty Bodine at 15, divorced at 18. Married Bertram Jones at 19 and had 5 kids in 7 years. Divorced Bertram at 33 when she caught him in bed with her little sister Tabitha. Married Dick Chesterfield a few years later. Dick is a trucker and isn’t home much which suits Earline just fine. 7 years later Dick is killed in an accident and Earline uses the money from Dick’s life insurance to buy a new double wide. Earline also changes her last name back to Jones because it is easier to spell. Earline is now 45 and single and still has 4 of her 5 children living with her.

Andy Gibb Jones is 25 and is between jobs. He has a couple of warrants out for him so he is laying low to avoid trouble. He claims he will be arrested if he gets a job. Whitney Houston Jones is 24 and has 2 kids of her own. She is working as a waitress and will move out when her back child support check comes in. She has been waiting for 4 years. Ted Nugent Jones, 22, is in the Army. He works at the motor pool at Fort Ord, California. Says he is waiting for secret orders to Iraq to help find Saddam himself. In reality his unit will not be going anywhere.

Mel Gibson Jones is 20 and works at Burger King. He is the only child of Earline to graduate from high school. He also owns his own car. He can’t afford new license tabs so he only drives the car for emergencies. Which happen 4 or 5 times a day. Janet Jackson Jones at 18 is the youngest. She is pregnant with her first child. She won’t know who the father is till the child is born and blood tests are done. She has her list narrowed down to 5 guys now.

Each child was named for the artist of the song Earline was listening to when they were conceived. Except Mel, he was conceived in the back of a 68 Chevy while Road Warriors was playing at the local drive in.

No other name but Tammy will do.

Dreama.

Definitley without a doubt the perfect name would be Joliene.

Joliene

I’m just trying to decide if posting to this thread will make me look/sound like someone who goes around with preconceived notions about people. (sigh)

It’s been my observation that some people with less-than-middle-class lifestyles tend to like fancy names. And since I’m in Illinois, where your story is set, I’ll give you a few I’ve encountered:

Raquel
Crystal
Doris
Alexis
Tonya
Bernadette
Rosalie
Jennifer & Jessica & Jacqueline & Janice (there are a gazillion of these J names)

(No offense intended to anyone who has any of the above names.)

Wanda
Irene
Trisha
Blanch

Evangeline

curses the soul of a Mississippi queen…

Marge
Patty
Dharma
Anne