NaNoWriMo Bragging / Opinions Thread

I’m doing quite well - past 37k, whoohoo!

I’m well behind at 15694 but not too worried yet. This is a new genre for me (horror/suspense as opposed to historical fiction) and I was feeling a little awkward for the first 10K but now it’s starting to click and my story is coming together. Okay, so I don’t exactly know what is going bump in the night yet but I’m working on it :)!

My motivation hasn’t been what it could be, partly because this time around I’m employed and busy at work where I just want to come home, have my little cocktail and just zone out. So trying to get most of my writing done before work for now, but will have to step it up soon and be more disciplined about after I get off. My laptop (a Nano essential IMHO) has been coming to work with me so I could write at lunch… if I ever get one!

Whelp, I just don’t see doing this year - my computer blew up entirely, leaving us without one for the better part of a week, and it’s been on again off again since. Bummer.

Nonetheless, I continue to write when I can. I’ll get as far as I can, then I’ll do better next year.

I just crested 25,000 words last night and, fortunately, I’m almost exactly at the halfway point in my outline. Overall it’s going well. Now excuse me while I knock on wood.

I’m right on schedule - yesterday I was at 27211 words and posted it on the site for the first time. I like my story, too, but it suffers from what NaNoWriMo always suffers from - a severe lack of editing. Plus, I always want to go back to short stories in the middle.

Have to admit, this project does spur my writing bug.

I totally understand. I’m more “only 15,000 more words and I can work on something else” than “Yay, 35,000 words!” at this point.

This past week has been a complete write-off (…no pun intended)… I’m not giving up, but I’m not expecting to cross the finish line.

I’ve always wanted to write fiction, but writing has always been a laborious process for me. This year, though, I’ve been inspired and decided to give it a shot.
Because writing is so tough for me, I’m not even trying for the 50,000 word goal. I’ll be happy if I can write a complete story. Since I’m at around 8,000 words and about 3/4 of the way through the plot, I’m happy!

For the first time all month, my word count is up at what it’s supposed to be using the minimum 1666 words/day standard.

Okay, it’s likely I’ll just relapse. But for one brief shining moment…

So, how does “Steuben, New Hampshire” grab you as the fictional name of a town? I want a name with historical significance, and I think naming it after Baron Von Steuben might be fitting.

I have less than 3k to go, but today I didn’t write a word. Well, I didn’t write a word on this, I wrote a short story instead. I’m probably going to be done by Saturday night. How’s everyone else doing?

I’m officially failed…I stalled at 21k, due to medical issues, and having other stuff that I needed to do, as well as having some issues with the scene I ended up stopped on. Still gonna keep writing, and finish the story, but…oh, well. Might manage 3k before the end of the month, anyway.

What kind of significance do you want in the name, elfkin?

Just barely finished. Had to do a lot of speed writing at the last minute when Google Docs’s word counter was significantly higher than the official word counter. But at least 40000 words or so are a pretty good story. 5000 were padding done during the month and 5000 were padding done at the end. But it’s editable. I’m pretty happy with it.

I finished last night and ended up with 50285 which isn’t bad considering I barely had time or motivation really – this year really felt more like a chore. Not sure I’ll finish this story – I about about 3/4 through actual story but most of it needs to be re-written extensively and all of my characters need makeovers. I will let it stew and see if I like enough about it to bring it alive one day. I am motivated into taking out last year’s Nano and going for the final edit - that one was much more enjoyable to write.

I “finished” (52k) but I’m not finished.

Which really have me annoyed at myself. There are only TWO scenes left in my outline, so I COULD have really really written an entire novel for once.

And I blew it again. :frowning:

Total word count for November - 70,636 words.

I’m pretty pleased with most of them too. :slight_smile: