Napoleonic Songs

There are a few songs in English about Napoleon; The Bonny Bunch O’ Roses, The Green Linnet and Boney Was A Warrior come immediately to mind.

Are there any songs in something other than English?

You’ve given me an earworm, Napoleón tenía cent soldats (Catalan children’s song, “Napoleon had 100 soldiers”) :mad:

I know others but will have to get rid of the earwom before I can think of more…

Oh, a question: do they have to have Napoleon directly referenced, or can it be about the Napoleonic wars and/or people who became famous then? Are wars which started against Napoleon but ended becoming something else counted? (Most of the Independence Wars of South America fall under this listing)

Good questions.

The Bonny Bunch O’ Roses directly refers to Napoleon only once in 6 verses yet is considered to be about Napoleon.

I would say the Independence Wars of South America are probably out, but everything else is fair game. Unless, of course, you have a particularly “tasty” Independence War song of South America. :slight_smile:

(I KNEW this stuff was out there somewhere.)

I know “Waterloo” by Abba has been done in at least one other language (German).

nm

ABBA also did covers in Swedish & French.

They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! :dubious:

Cover in Hessian dialect German!

The French version of this song appears (briefly) in the YA novel My Bonny Light Horseman: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, in Love and War - in a scene with French soldiers, natch. However, as I’m listening to the audiobook, I can’t replicate the lyrics. And yes, it’s definitely an earworm!

I can use that. :smiley:

Trust the Dope.

Does it so much as allude to Boney? :dubious:

By some wondrous and miraculous chance, are there versions of this on YouTube? Or GrooveShark?

Yes, it was written by him. OP didn’t specify which Napoleon, so I assumed it can only refer to the fourteenth in his line.

Fair enough.

Not to ruin the fun, but I was referring to…

Oh, never mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Bonny Light Horseman talks about Napoleon, though I guess it’s more of a lover’s lament.

Napolean’s Dream by Holdstock & MacCleod

Does “Ah Ah, Yawa Em Ekat ot Gnimoc Er’yeht” on the B-side of Napolean XIV’s one hit qualify?

Paco Muñoz- Napoleó tenia cent soldats - YouTube is the Spanish one, I assume.

The French version is actually called 'Napoleon Avait Cinq Cent Soldats (but I cannot find a clip for you)

Also linking to this page, with the lyrics for ‘Le Cinq Mai’ which references the man himself as ‘The Eagle’ and mentions exile in Ste Helena. http://napoleon1er.perso.neuf.fr/CinqMai.html
Once again, no clip for this I’m afraid.

Edit to add- it is, of course, a song about his death.