Nasty chemical required for benign purpose. Any suggestions?

Six months ago I had a small wart on my face, last month I had two, now I have three. I want rid. Evidently they are breeding :frowning: They each are between 1 and 2 millimetres diameter and are on ‘regular’ skin v close to my lip.

Can anyone recommend an ‘active ingredient’ that I could buy over the counter. I say ‘ingredient’ rather than ‘product’ as different products are available in different countries. Or perhaps someone knows a nasty chemical that I could dip a matchstick in to, and poke each wart with.

There is ONE SMALL PROBLEM though. That is I can use anything that has a salicylate in it.
Also, NO PLANT EXTRACTS AT ALL.
This includes salicin, salicylic acid, 2-carboxyphenol, 2-Hydroxybenzenecarboxylic acid, 2-Hydroxybenzoate, 2-Hydroxybenzoic acid, o-carboxyphenol, o-Hydroxybenzoate, o-Hydroxybenzoic acid, Beta hydroxy acids, Camphor, Duoplant, Duoplant, Ephedra, Freezone, Ionil, Keralyt, Octisalate, Orthohydroxbenzoic acid, Orthohydroxybenzoate, Phenol-2-carboxylic acid, Polyhydroxy acid, Psoriacid-S-Stift, Retarder W, Rutranex, SA, Salonil, SAX.

Also, NO PLANT EXTRACTS AT ALL. :frowning:

Any clues please?

I know absolutely nothing about chemicals or plant extracts or even warts. I’m just curious; why the stipulation of no plant extracts at all?

But if you are in the English midlands, what is the problem with asking your G.P. or even a local pharmacist, if you have a horror of doctors?

Or, maybe it’s a joke location, and I’m being silly.

A very attention-grabbing thread title though! :slight_smile:

One of the most remarkable things in the world of medicine is the curious fact that cures for warts tend to work. The remarkable part is that what the cure is doesn’t seem to matter as much as the level of respect the patient has for the person providing the cure.

Putting toxic substances on your face might involve side effects unanticipated by that set of facts. You should consider those carefully.

Liquid Air seems to be a fairly effective agent for eliminating small areas of living tissue without endangering adjacent tissue. A q-tip dipped, and then touched to the wart would be enough. Getting liquid air, and storing it might involve considerable expense.

If you have a high level of respect for physicians, it might be worthwhile to consider consulting one. On the whole, they are more consistently reliable, on the subject of medicine than random Internet users.

Tris

“Cabbage: A familiar kitchen-garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man’s head.” ~ Ambrose Bierce ~

Johnny Bravo, plant extracts contain salicylates (and sals block my medication working, even in such small amounts). I understand that the OTC stuff has sals in.

Celyn, the doc is quite difficult for me to get to… I have been treated, unsuccessfully, for the first wart. It’s alot of hassle to continue to go back and forth. I’d rather just ‘dip n poke’, so to speak, at my leisure in the privacy and comfort of my own home.

What medication are you on that a small amount of salicylate on your skin would block it? Is it a skin medication?

Duct tape?

xcheopis, it is guaifenesin for the treatment of fibromyalgia. www.netromall.com/guai-support
has all the details. It is so complicated that I didn’t bring it up in the OP.

Many thanx for the interest in this Q.

Max Torque, I think it was probably a similar duct tape article that gave me the idea of asking here.

Do you think it could become accepted face decoration then, these duct tape circles? On another part of the body I would go fo it but it would look like I was trying to patch three punctures on my face!

Duct tape … the reversible alternative to piercing … Hmm. << chuckle >>

Um…I guess this doesn’t fit your restrictions, but my gradnfather swears by Tobasco sauce as a cure for warts. Dunno if it works, but there you go.

Actually, if it was guaranteed to work in 2 or 3 applications, it wouldn’t matter about the salicylates… but if I had to apply something everyday for a week or more, it wouldn’t be a good thing.

Tobasco eh? Hmmmm. Must have a gleg in the kitchen …

Napalm is a nasty chemical that can get rid of warts. Just don’t use too much.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, and the following method has the potential to hurt like heck and/or do other damage to you. Be warned.

A few months ago, my daughter had several warts on her hand, and we took her to the doctor. I watched him take out a spray can of some freezing fluid and apply it liberally to her warts, causing frostbite that killed the wart and some surrounding tissue. I surmised from her tears that the process was excruciatingly painful, but it worked quite well – a few days later the warts had completely disappeared.

So, of course, when I noticed a wart getting started on my thumb, I decided to try it at home. First I cut out some squares of duct tape, and cut a small hole in the middle of each, just large enough for the wart to show through, and wrapped each one around my thumb, insulating the surrounding skin but leaving the wart exposed. Then, I got one of the cans of “canned air” that computer stores sell, for blowing dust off of computer components and the like. From what I understand, these products contain liquid difluoroethane or some similar chemical with a very low boiling point, under pressure so it can’t boil. When you squeeze the trigger on the can, you release the pressure and the liquid boils violently, forcing a blast of difluoroethane gas out the nozzle. Well, as anybody who uses these products knows, when you turn the can upside-down and squeeze the trigger, the vaporizing gas accumulates inside the can and forces the liquid out the nozzle, and the liquid freezes whatever it touches as it evaporates. Maybe not as cold as the doctor’s spray, but certainly good enough to cause frostbite. So I gritted my teeth, turned the can upside-down, and sprayed icy liquid on the duct-tape-surrounded wart. Turns out my daughter’s tears were right – it DID hurt a lot. But the five or six layers of duct tape did a good job at preventing it from hurting anywhere but the wart, and after what seemed like an eternity (60 seconds or so) I stopped. The wart had turned an icy tan in color, and although the skin around it was pretty sore for a day or so, it worked; the wart was gone within 2-3 days.

Next up: home tonsillectomy using a car battery and your laser pointer!

English Cid Difficult to answer without tackling the subtext. The restriction you’re placing on the means to remove your warts comes from the claims for a highly disputed treatment anyway, but I’m sure you know that already. As Triskadecamus says, go to a doctor again; they have non-chemical methods.

It did a swell job on my elbow. I can still see it a little, so it may not be completely gone, but it seemed to work.

I did it for the sake of science.

Duct tape, liquid nitrogen, and tri-chloro-acetic acid all work for me.

I had a couple of warts on my hand when I was a kid. I came off my bike and landed on gravel on my hands. Just ground those suckers right off. Never came back.

Another time I was riding on my bike and something jammed in the spokes and I went over the handlebars and landed on my face, in particular my upper lip.

Sooooo, if you just combine those two things with your wart problem…

chorpler , I’d really go for that but they are on my face.:frowning:

BTW, getting your tonsils done by a professional doesn’t guarantee competence. Sometimes home surgury is the best! But first research the tools properly by checking with the smart dopers. :smiley:

Cheers guys.

A few months ago, I had a pretty nasty wart on my finger. I tried salicylic acid for about a few days, got impatient, and picked at it 'till it came off - the salicylic acid seems to have softened it up a bit. It was painful - heh - and I think it left a scar.

But. Well. Hey. It works. No More Warts. You can have a bunch of battle scars on your face.

I HOPE you’re not serious about this:

>>BTW, getting your tonsils done…Sometimes home surgury is the best! But first research the tools properly by checking with the smart dopers.

I would NOT bet my health on a “smart doper”. If you don’t mind a possible scar or three on your face (I wouldn’t care, but then I care too little about my looks), go ahead and try a wart remedy. But for more serious medical problems, you need to find a doctor (or at least a local pharmacist/chemist) that you trust!

Most “smart dopers” have had ZERO med school.