National Honors Society

When I was graduating and wearing the yellow ropes, the class football star/class clown called them the “Never Had Sex” ropes…looking back on it, that was probably a rather apt comment on the whole situation…the girls were too uptight/bitchy and the boys too geeky to ever get laid.

As I went to a very (very) non-traditional alternative school I have no firsthand experience with the NHS. I often feel like I’m listening to tales from a distant land when other people talk about their high school days.

“What is this fuut-bol you speak of?”

Anyway, there was no NHS at my school so I’m no good to you there. But what I can tell you is that colleges don’t really care if you were in the NHS or not. They care that you did something with yourself during high school, but there are plenty of other things that will look just as good if not better on your transcript. For instance, you could do volunteer work on your own, or through another organization.

So don’t join the NHS unless you want to. Participate in other extracurricular activities you enjoy and keep your grades up and you’ll be fine when it comes time to apply to colleges.

I was the president of my high school’s NHS chapter during my junior year, and by default for my senior year, too. We didn’t really have a community service requirement that I recall - mostly, we met once a month as a social club to yak and gossip and pad our Permanent Records. When election time came at the end of my first year, nobody was interested in elections at all, so I continued with my aimless leadership for yet another year. After I graduated, the chapter pretty much dissappeared without a trace.

It certainly WASN’T the “never had sex” group, tho…

I hate NHS at my school. 10 hours of community service of our choosing, plus 3 group projects and some meetings. I was inducted last year (Junior) and did the requirements and then some but didn’t turn in a peice of paper and assumed I wouldn’t do it this year, because it was a load of crap. 10 hours in 7 months? I did it in 2 days at an art festival. And the group projects were things like can drives for the horribly overpriced senior grad night parties. I found out I was still an official member this year when they sent a friend a note saying I was in his group for picking up pop cans around the school. Since I haven’t yet turned in that same piece of paper and I’ve not been to meetings due to college classes, I have probably been kicked out by now, and I couldn’t care less. The group certainly doesn’t value actual service, and I do enough by far on my own, for the causes I choose, without the hassle. NHS can’t possibly make that much difference to colleges if your GPA and SAT’s are OK and you show you do some community service.

I had a friend who did all the requirements for 2 years and who did a project in which he and one other person made enough money to build 4 houses in honduras after the hurricane a couple years ago. He turned in $2.50 worth of pop cans after a drive rather than $5 and he almost didn’t get to wear his little tassel at graduation and get his recommendation, which was important to him.

I did have fun at the lake and highway cleanups, but they were the only real service we did the whole year.

As I recall, the NHS chapter at my high school did very little, and required of its members even less.

I have no recollection of formally applying for membership, although I certainly may have. I skipped my induction ceremony, for reasons that I really can’t recall. I seem to recall perhaps one meeting per year, usually in the morning in the school auditorium - little was discussed besides basic logistics.

There was something put together my senior year - I think it was an NHS thing - a “homework hotline” kind of thing. NHS members would volunteer to hang out by a phone in the school in the afternoon/early evening, eager to answer homework-related questions from anybody who felt like calling in. Nice idea, I guess, but calls were extremely rare. I did it a few times, and I don’t think anybody ever called while I was on watch.

Since there appeared to be no significant obligations, I joined when given the offer without hesitation - mostly because “it would look good on my college apps.” Maybe it helped, maybe it didn’t. Hardly matters now. I certainly don’t regret joining, because there was nothing to regret.

My class was the 2nd at my school whose NHS members wore, not those gold cords, but big white and gold stoles at graduation. And you thought those cords made you stick out…

While it seems that my school’s NHS chapter fell somewhat shy of greatness, neither was it a complete crock. It was a nearly 100% neutral experience.

At my high school, you didn’t apply–you were chosen (I seem to recall signing a permission slip giving whoever was in charge permission to look into your records and ask other teachers about you, so if you really didn’t want to be in it, you just didn’t sign it.) There was a fairly fancy induction ceremony every spring. We didn’t have meetings, except to a)plan this ceremony, and b)plan our service project. Our NHS “adopted” a bit of highway near the school (got the blue sign with the group’s name and everything), so we spent two Saturdays a year wearing orange vests and picking up trash. (They finally figured out that they needed to have one of the days be really late in spring so that people inducted their senior year would actually have to do some work!)

What does your local NHS sell the candy for? Picking up trash is one thing, but if I had had to sell stuff (for, apparently, no apparent reason), I probably wouldn’t have bothered.

It was more of an “honor” than a “society” in my school, especially for the people who were inducted their senior year and were only members for maybe a month. And, of course, by then, it’s too late for college applications and no one else cares.

I still have my pin, though, in my jewelry box.

I just got my letter today.

“Congratulations on being selected a member of the 2000-2001 Gundhilde’s Hometown High School National Honor Society!”

Now, our school is a wee bit weird when it comes to NHS. The entire top 10% of the sophomore class gets “inducted” into a psuedo-NHS (called simply Gundhilde’s Hometown High School Honor Society…no “National”). We go to a ceremony and that’s the last we hear of the GHHS Honor Society. Then, in March of senior year, the top 10% gets inducted into the actual NHS at a ceremony, we get our names listed in the yearbook, and that is, once again, the last we hear of NHS. No meetings, no community service, no fund-raising, no officers or sponsor, nothing at all. We don’t even have to apply for it, everyone in the top 10% is automatically selected.

Both “organizations” (and I stress those quotation marks) are basically worthless, except that they make your parents very proud of you.

I personally believe that no one in my high school is actually an official member of the official NHS. I don’t think our school bothers even to register us with the official NHS. I think they just borrow the name of the organization, have a ceremony to make us feel like we’re actually being inducted into it, and in this way they manage to finagle out of the official NHS’s requirements. Since none of us care enough to research the NHS, we are none the wiser.

If it weren’t so deceitful, I’d say that’s actually a good idea.

Hmmm…I remember two things about NHS. One was the food drive on Thanksgiving, when we’d take donations and distribute food to folks who needed it. We got the names from churches, and more than one person to whom we delivered was not particularly needy.

The other was the departing-senior ceremony where we gave gifts to the incoming NHS sophomore inductees. I gave my inductee…my clothes. I stripped down to a t-shirt and loud boxers right on stage and handed her my clothes, one piece at a time. It was a big hit. So now, if any of y’all decide to do that, I want a concept credit! hehehe

At my high school the National Honor Society members were chosen by the teachers without an application process. As a senior I ran unopposed for President; there was no community service component or even a faculty advisor. I organized no activities, called no meetings. Benign neglect was the watchword of my stewardship.

Last time I was here, there were only about 2 other posts. It’s great to see that all you people have united to bash the NHS. I think it’s verified that NHS is a load of bullshit. From reading the posts, seems like most of you have your heads screwed on straight…HOWEVER, a couple of you still have that notion that the NHS is actually is well-doing group, and that it can actually help society. What the hell is wrong with you?! I don’t want to see any posts talking about how you think there are a couple people in the NHS because they want to make a change in the world! NHS is a bullshit organization, NO EXCEPTIONS. have a nice day

Actually, one cool thing was that for at least one NHS induction that I went to, the music the band played for it was the theme from Monty Python’s Flying Circus.

I’m a senior right now and I’ve been in NHS for about a year. Our chapter falls into the catagory of “pretty boring, but not really a scam”. We basically just have to keep a 3.5 (or is it 3.75? I don’t recall at the moment) GPA and do 24 hours of community service a year. Apparently we run a few little things throughout the year, like a “Giving Tree” around Christmas and other NHS-sponsored voluteer stuff. We’ve never done anything resembling fund-raising and I’d never even realized any chapters did this until now. Since I would keep the GPA and do the service hours whether or not I was in the organization, all it really means to me is something I can put on applications.
I still wouldn’t classify it as anything actively evil though. Just boring.

Well, to add some perspective in the 20 years later Dept.

I was inducted into the NHS in my junior year in high school. I was president of the Civinettes (a Civitan Jr, League- why? I really will never figure out. I’m the most unlikely presidential material known to Man) Anyhoo, that paved the way to all the High School Accolades. I do think that some civic good was done, but in retrospect, it seems trivial.

In my senior year, I wrote the NHS ceremony, in a humorous manner(Thank God it’s not preserved… I’d choke). I took it seriously then, though, and it was a big Laff riot.

To tell the truth, after 20 years, and losing my NHS scroll to the sea on graduation night, I haven’t thought of it three times until now. I do think it’s important when you’re trying to get into University, but as an important component of your identity… Nahhh.

Well, the real question is concerning the higher-ups. (Is there a super NHS leader or just multiple chapters that don’t ever talk to each other?) Do the leaders have all these community helping dealies because they feel the need to help people or because they are obligated as a service organization to do so? I know our community or school would not skip a single beat if our NHS was gone. They seem to do few helpful things and when they do something “outstanding”, the basis behind it seems questionable. I have a higher respect for an individual who goes out to help people than I do for the NHS at our school.