Nazi lampshades

Hi peeps.

I would just like to say that I thought Cecil’s column on the issue of Nazi lampshades made of human skin was a bit of a letdown, both in terms of its conclusions and its thoroughness.

This is the column I’m referring to.

This is a much more thorough treatment of the same subject.

I’d be interested to hear Cecil’s comments after he reads the latter, as well as the comments of other users. For the record, I have nothing against Cecil, I just think that it’s not a good idea to give ground to Holocaust deniers on any point without good reason.

Welcome to the board, blaxuan. It looks like you accidentally posted two links to Cecil’s column, so I’m not sure what you’re comparing it to just yet. By way of further reference material, we’ve had a couple of discussions about this column in the past. This is the most thorough one that I’m aware of.

“Accident”, hell, I thought it was a masterful piece of commentary on a post-modern level with a touch of sardonicism.

He’ll fit right in. :rolleyes:

(I wonder if those who register to comment on the columns know they actually have to come here to check on it, or if they’re expecting them to appear below the columns themselves, because it’s a rare event indeed when a column commenter replies in his/her thread.)

Oops. The second link should be:

Thanks for the heads up and the warm welcome.

It seems to be the latter, not that it improves the discussion. :rolleyes:

The odd thing about this discussion - if Commandant Koch was arrested and executed in 1943, why were those lampshades still in the commandant’s house in 1945? Did they appeal to the next commandant? Why would they specifically be blamed on Ilsa Koch? You would think someone would clue the new commandant in - “do you know what those lamps are”?

The photo from the documentary appears to be of a fairly large chunk of leather (or 4 of them to make a square shade), no visible tatoos and the base appears to be dark leather, which is an oddity. If it was a tatoo lamp you’d think the tatoo would be turned toward the camera. In other excerpt photos the lamp is cropped out. In the photo of exhibits, some items seem to be anatomical specimens - are those lungs? If so, it’s more of a gruesome “look at the disgusting stuff they kept” than “look at the tattoos they kept”.

However it says something about a person’s character if they can be accused of something so gruesome and many people give it credence.