Nazi on ballot for Montana state legislature as a Republican

If this makes a statement, maybe it’s about political apathy. How sad is it if the only person who bothers to run for the seat, aside from the Democrat, is a Nazi?

Furthermore, how exactly does the national GOP distance itself from the views of these obvious bigots while at the same time arguing many points that reasonable people could reasonably argued as based in bigotry?

The compromise is that, not in that district but in elections generally, the Pubs are not only willing but eager to shill for the votes of white supremacists.

I hope that but I don’t really expect it.

Could it possibly be that well-established Republican policies like opposing Affirmative Action at every turn and generally supporting the interests of business over minorities, and well, anyone at all over minorities, might just possibly have caused a little perception problem for the Republican Party? Racists regard the Republican Party as the party of racism, and minorities regard the Republican Party as the party of racism, but of course, their vision is flawed … right?

Wrong.

Well, in that, you could probably make a point. But this instance does not create the hill to die on. It is too far an outlier.

Is it? Ralph Reed and such are playing on religious and national bigotry, which is only slightly preferable to racial bigotry.

Well, we have a Muslim running in Minneapolis – Keith Ellision, the DFL-endorsed candidate to follow our decades-long Representative Martin Olav Sabo.

But Keith is far from a “fundamentalist” – way last year, he got some heat for writing this article to black ministers in the area: “Would a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage help us to welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, heal the sick, or visit those in prison?”

So next year, we’ll see a Muslim in Congress. But not a fundamentalist.

Reasonable people can and do oppose Affirmative Action. Many of us consider it a form of officially sanctioned racism.

Some people don’t pit the two against each other. In fact, some people recognize that many businesspeople are minorities and many minorities are businesspeople.

I have to agree. It’s sad that the only one that thought to run was a Nazi. Even if its a heavily Democrat seat you’d think that at least someone would run.

You mean Michael Moore and Al Sharpton don’t embarass you? They’re every bit as bad as any Nazi.

Well, I can certainly see how minor-league rabble-rousing and the making of inflammatory documentaries is morally equivalent to genocide…

Oh, wait! No, I can’t… :dubious:

Then open your eyes. Moore and Sharpton are both hatemongers on the same moral and intellectual level as David Duke. It’s hard for the Dems to plausibly claim the moral high ground when they embrace these two clowns.

Except for the racial hatred. But then, I guess that’s not the famous thing about David Duke. :confused: Sorry, it’s not just how you say something. What you say counts, and they’re not saying anything on the same level- and I’m not a fan of either one of them.

If you see no racism in Sharpton’s appeal, it’s because you’ve chosen not to see it. His career is largely based on racial demagoguery. And what Moore is saying is every bit as contemptible as anything Duke ever said.

The difference is that the Pubs go well out of their way to dissociate themselves from the likes of Duke while the Dems make lame excuses for the likes of Moore and Sharpton.

Try to understand that the weird, inverted anti-white racism of the white liberal is repulsive, too.

Hate to shake up your “four legs good, two legs bad” view of American politics once again, BG, but here’s more evidence that racists can find the Democratic Party congenial. Seems there’s a Dem candidate for attorney general in Alabama who’s getting a surprising amount of support.

From msnbc.com:

Democratic Party leaders are wondering what to do about a candidate for attorney general who denies the Holocaust occurred and wants to “reawaken white racial awareness.”…He has no money for campaign advertising and has made only a few campaign speeches, but garnered 12 percent support in the June 6 primary in a poll of 400 registered voters last month.

Nice.

Wonder who’s more embarassed here - Alabama Democrats or atheists? :smiley:

Really?

Who *were * all those people voting for Duke, then? Libertarians? And who has ever voted for Sharpton, since you draw the equivalence?

You’re going to have to provide some underpinnings for that assertion if you hope to convince anyone but yourself.

I love that quote! I don’t think Jesus could have said it any better.

Back to the OP. There are crackpots in the US. Some run for office. Some run as Dems, some as Pubs. Neither party wants them. Big deal.

Interesting. Will he be the first Muslim in Congress?

The name “Keith Ellision” doesn’t sound like it originates from any Islamic country. Is he a Black Muslim? (Most of the world’s Muslims regard those as heretics.)

Moore doesn’t embarrass me one tiny little bit; I’m a fan, as you should be. Sharpton does, but I think on balance he’s done America more good than harm. And he certainly made the 2004 Dem primary season more entertaining! :slight_smile: (And perhaps just a bit more enlightening.)