NBA: Is there any buzz outside Atlanta for Kyle Korver's 3 Point streak?

If you’re not aware, Kyle Korver of the Atlanta Hawks has hit at least one 3-pt shot in 120 straight games. He last played a game without notching a 3-pt basket on November 2nd, 2012. The previous record for consecutive games with at least one 3-pt basket was 90.

Is this streak getting noticed outside Atlanta? I doubt it, since it’s not getting THAT much buzz inside Atlanta, but then again, the Hawks rarely do.

To me, it’s really kind of an amazing feat. I think it compares in some ways with a hitting streak in baseball. I’m tuning in some nights JUST to see if he keeps the streak going. There is a heightened sense of tension when he shoots from behind the line.

This Bleacher Report story has some good info on Korver and the streak.

He got some nationwide coverage when he broke the record, but the articles were mostly short. Korver’s never been all that famous, the Hawks are stuck in the middle of a really weak Eastern Conference, and I don’t think the record itself was that well known.

I was aware that Atlanta had a team, but the only thing that comes to mind about them is that they have, or had, Joe Johnson. I suspect most people would know even less, since I watch ESPN sometimes.

Who’s Kyle Korver? (I mean, I’ve never heard the name before. I’m not an NBA fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I do live in Sacramento, a Kings-crazy NBA market, and I listen to the local news and read the local papers regularly, and I don’t remember their having ever mentioned his name).

I some ways, yes, but not too closely. A very good batter gets a hit in 1 of 3 at bats and has 3-4 of those a game. (Recall not every plate appearance is an at bat particularly for a good hitter who likely gets walked a lot.)

A good three-point shooter shoots more like 40% and probably has 5+ attempts per game. Furthermore, if his team is aware of the streak and knows he’s not had a three-pointer in a game, they might try to feed him to let it continue, while a baseball team can do little different to get a hitter an extra at bat.

Oh, I absolutely agree, it’s not a direct comparison. The hitting streak in baseball is more of an individual accomplishment, whereas Korver’s streak would have been over long ago if not for teammate’s setting him up for an open shot.

At the same time, he has now surpassed the previous record by 30 games (old record - 90, new record - currently at 120, still going) At some point, it does get to be an impressive streak, but Korver suffers from being not a household name on a mid-level team that never gets national exposure.

I’d put it in the category of most consecutive games with a field goal for an NFL kicker.

In the NFL, getting a FG is good, but not that great. In the NBA, getting a 3 pointer is good, but not that great. Neither is going to have a very high correlation with winning the game.

Phoenix Suns fan here. The pregame program often has mentions of different teams, but if they talked about Korver, I missed the one mention.

However, I do not listen to local sports radio.

… what? Getting a three-pointer is great, which is why teams are shooting more threes than ever. It’s not at all comparable to kicking a field goal, which is usually what you do if you fail to score a touchdown. Teams that take and make a lot of three-point looks are usually very good. The Spurs are the case in point.

I said that 3 pointers made or 3 point % doesn’t correlate well with winning. So let’s look at current NBA stats.

Correlation between team winning percentage and:
0.289 – 3 pointers made
0.361 – 3 point percentage

Compare that to:
0.946 – Point differential (duh)
0.753 – Field goal percentage
0.617 – Points scored
-0.565 – Opponents field goal percent
0.487 – Total rebounds
-0.470 – Opponent points
-0.453 – Opponent 3 point percentage

So shooting well, scoring points, and playing good defense correlate highly with winning. Three pointers not so much.

I wonder if there’s a way to correlate that with the pace of play instead of just the raw percentages. Anyway: are you going to address the bit about three pointers being “good, but not that great” and similar to an NFL field goal? That was a much stranger comment. It really made no sense.

With a 24 second shot clock, pace is much less of a factor in the NBA than in college, where it really makes a difference. In college, there’s a seventeen possession difference between the fastest team and the slowest. In the NBA it’s less than ten, and it’s only that high because Philly is a huge outlier, with three more possessions than the second fastest team.

I listen to the local sports talk shows in Omaha and even they aren’t talking about it anymore. There was quite a buzz about it leading up to him breaking the record. I’m sure they will talk about it again when he’s finally done. But in between now and then I doubt they’ll spend much time on the subject.

I admit I am only a casual fan of the NBA now, but I didn’t hear about it at all (DC market).