NBA Playoffs

I must’ve blinked and missed the day the team promised to compensate him for all the money he’ll lose if he blows out his leg. I think it speaks volumes that his teammates and people who play basketball have been pretty supportive of him and people who don’t aren’t. I know he’s been cleared, but I don’t think he feels confident playing at this point. I wish he were, but I get it.

They’re paying him $16.4 million this year to play basketball. And he’s refusing to, despite the fact he’s been cleared by their medical team for months and that it is the next step in his rehab.

Does this “well, he might get hurt” logic extend to everybody? I suppose Noah should have said “well, my feet are killing me, I can’t risk further injury, so I’m done too”. He didn’t, because he’s a team player who is willing to do something difficult. Or how about Heinrich? Or Robinson?

Better yet, how about Ricky Rubio, who has been playing since December? Or Iman Schumpert, who is back playing despite tearing his ACL after D. Rose. Or any other NBA player who is injured at this time of year (read: all of them)? Every player in the NBA is at risk of injury in every single game. Maybe they should all just sit out.

And even if you look beyond all the other players in the NBA, the fact is that D. Rose’s doctors have told him that right now (actually 2 months ago), he’s at no larger risk of getting reinjured than at any other time in his career.

The reason he isn’t playing isn’t because of risk of injury or that he’s not done rehabbing, it’s because he’s mentally weak. And that weakness is nothing to be proud of.

I’m sure this has something to do with something, because they didn’t expect him to play for several months and kept paying him anyway. He’s the one responsible for his own career.

Being cleared is not the same as being ready to play.

Of course it does. And it applies differently to people with different problems (I’m sure a foot inflammation or a calf strain are painful, but they’re not the same as tearing your ACL).

As I remember it he played like crap for quite a while.

They were injured at the same time, and Shumpert plays fewer minutes in a smaller role.

He’s not weak, and he’s being responsible for his own health.

Because he was injured and could not play. Now he can, and he won’t.

Yep, and he’s being paid to play when he can, and he’s not. I agree, though, it’s a much better career choice to take the money and not play than to take it and play. Would that we all had that option.

It means you are PHYSICALLY ready to play. I don’t doubt that Rose thinks he isn’t ready to play. But that’s all in his mind, not his body.

Yep, everyone recovers from injuries at different times. And the next step in D. Rose’s rehabilitation from his torn ACL is to play NBA basketball. And he refuses to. He won’t do what his doctors’ say is the next and final step in his rehab.

Part of the rehab. Doctors, coaches, and fans don’t expect you to return from injury and immediately be at 100%. That wouldn’t change a bit for D. Rose either. If he sucked it up and played like his rehab requires, he’d be on limited minutes and not himself for awhile too. Which is yet another reason why he should have continued his rehab months ago by playing, so he could be back to D. Rose right about now. But he didn’t, because he’s afraid.

And, again, this is part of rehab. D. Rose, when he came back, would have been playing smaller minutes and in a smaller role until he got back to normal. But that can’t be accomplished without actually playing, which is what the doctors have been telling him for months.

Yes he is. There is no physical reason he shouldn’t be playing, yet there is he, eating candy while the rest of his team in puking in buckets, playing through pain, and trying damn hard to win games. He quit his rehab and he quit on his team. That’s weak.

He sure is. He’s so responsible he’s not playing basketball, despite that being what he gets paid for, that he’s at no greater risk of injury than at any other time in his career, and that it is the next step in his rehab. Sure is responsible. But it isn’t something to be proud of.

Do you think the Bulls are going to stop paying him or challenge him for the money they’ve paid him in some way? I don’t.

I know, right, it’s not like they’re going to be paying him a guaranteed $80 million dollars for the next 4 years, or anything. The guy has to be careful and not do anything to risk his earning potential, he’s got a family to feed.

If he does not want to play for fear of injuring himself, after being completely cleared medically, he should take an unpaid leave of absence. If there is disagreement about whether or not he is medically sound, go to an arbitrator.

You’re right, being cleared is not the same as being “ready to play”. It is his job to be “ready to play”, that’s why they pay him buckets of money. If his body is healthy and he’s not ready to go, that’s HIS failure.

The Bulls are going to have a hard time being tough because they have 4 years and $80mil tied up with him, and they don’t want to sour the relationship. That doesn’t mean Rose is in the right.

Just wondering, are either of you two Bulls fans? I’m a Lakers fan so this talk of Rose is not hitting any emotional buttons for me, but I can totally see my viewpoint changing if I were in Chicago

Yep, that’s a lot of money even after taxes and everything else. And if he blows out his ACL again that could be the last money he makes as a professional athlete. He’s 24. Guys who’ve made much, much more than that have still found themselves with nothing. I’m just saying here: I wish the guy were playing and he’s being well compensated, just like he will be next year when I presume he’ll be back at full strength, but how much of a risk would you take with your livelihood in that situation?

No. It does mean they’re willing to live with it. Maybe they’re both agreed they don’t want to sacrifice the long haul for this season.

I’m not in Chicago, but I’m a Bulls fan.

I’m not much of one (although I was more when Jordan was playing and I lived in Chicago). Hell, I’m not much of a fan of NBA basketball at all, what with its regular season that doesn’t matter and the disparity between team. I do like the story of this years’ Bulls, the work that Tibs has done without his franchise player, and the effort and overcoming adversity that guys like Noah and Deng have. It’s a shame that liking them is made all that much tougher by D. Rose’s refusal to continue his rehab.

The Lakers have the money and drama, but the Bulls (sans Rose) are the scrappy underdog who fights hard and overcomes great adversity to win it all. Unfortunately, this isn’t a movie and LeBron will just take turns rubbing his junk on the try hard Bulls in the next round. But it was a nice first round story.

Which, once again, isn’t a bigger risk now than it was before the injury. Would you have the same attitude if he had just quit last year, because he didn’t want to get injured at all? Why should he even play next year, he’s at the same risk of tearing his ACL then as now? I say he just take his money, save his career and be “responsible about his health” and never play again.

Yep, he has them over the proverbial barrel. Which doesn’t mean for one second that he’s doing the right thing or that he’s not mentally weak.

Whereas I spent Saturday trying to talk myself into hoping the team would lose because I didn’t want to see anybody suffer a severe injury while playing on half a leg or something. And then of course they took a lead and that went out the window. And Noah seems to be fine, so that’d be one less injury concern.

Tie game with less than three minutes left. What the hell is going on here?

Bulls up, 24 seconds left! Come on…win this one…

Wow WTF! The Heat just freaking gave up after that Lebron 3pt miss! They had like almost 20 seconds! They just let Nate Robinson run around with the ball! I’m shocked. I’ve seen teams battle for the win with less time remaining and more point differential. Unbelievable.

Never saw that comming!
Excellent job by the Bulls!

Didn’t get a chance to see it, but followed the score on my iPhone. Saw it was a tight game, but figured Miami was going to run away with it in the fourth or something. Then I saw Chicago was up 93-86 with 4 seconds left. What in god’s name happened? On Miami’s court no less! I tried to find it on my Comcast after the game was over to hear the stunned silence in Miami, but couldn’t find the game.

TNT went right to the Golden State San Antonio game already in progress, no recap at all which is a shame because I really want to see the highlights.

I think they’ll probably do it during halftime of this game. I’m excited to see it too.

Well that was dissapointing. 10 minutes of BS chatter and 30 seconds of Bulls highlights :rolleyes:

I think they didn’t want to foul Robinson or Belinelli- they’re good FT shooters. They were down by 5, so it was over anyway. I’m stunned. I don’t know how they’re doing this. And the other game was pretty breathtaking, too - the Spurs pulled off a 16-point comeback in the last 4 minutes or so, and they won in double OT. Curry went off for 44 and 11. Terrific work by San Antonio but that’s the second game in a row that Golden State had sowed up and tried to give away. They got away with it against Denver but not this time.