Neat Historical Parallels About Your Birthday

13th May 1950 - Stevie Wonder born
13th May 1982 - I am born, Stevie Wonder is number one with Ebony and Ivory

April 28 - a good day for flying:

1910 – Frenchman Louis Paulhan wins the 1910 London to Manchester air race, the first long-distance aeroplane race in England.
2001 – Millionaire Dennis Tito becomes the world’s first space tourist.
April 28 is also a good day for dying - assassination-style:

1192 – Assassination of Conrad of Montferrat (Conrad I), King of Jerusalem, in Tyre, two days after his title to the throne is confirmed by election. The killing is carried out by Hashshashin.
1945 – Benito Mussolini and his mistress Clara Petacci are executed by a firing squad consisting of members of the Italian resistance movement.
1949 – Former First Lady of the Philippines Aurora Quezon, 61, is assassinated while en route to dedicate a hospital in memory of her late husband; her daughter and ten others are also killed.
1978 – President of Afghanistan, Mohammed Daoud Khan, is overthrown and assassinated in a coup led by pro-communist rebels.
1987 – American engineer Ben Linder is killed in an ambush by U.S.-funded Contras in northern Nicaragua.

This thread was posted the day after my birthday. Not sure if that counts for something.

In keeping with the OP:

1493 - Columbus left new world on return from 1st voyage
1887 - Thomas Stevens is 1st man to bicycle around the world (SF-SF)

1903 - Topsy, an elephant, was electrocuted by Thomas Edison during the War of Currents campaign.
1968 - Duck hunter accidentally shoots endangered whooping crane in Texas

1936 - Billboard magazine publishes its 1st music hit parade
2001 - Rapper Vanilla Ice spends night in jail after allegedly ripping out some of his wife’s hair during a row

What’s the date, CheshireKat?

And may I add:

1864: The death of my great-great-uncle, serving with the 46th Penna. Volunteer Infantry, in the Battle of New Hope Church, Ga.
1987: My college graduation

Oops! January 4th. :o

First celebration of Thanksgiving, proclaimed by G. Washington

Fist entry into King Tut’s tomb.

Birthdays: Bat Masterton, Tina Turner.

And the date, jtur88?

Every year:
day of the dead
all souls day
the birthday of 5 of the 8 kids when I was in preschool, by coincidence. [myself, my twin brother, our friend, and a set of twin girls, all born on the same day]

Do these count? :slight_smile:

*Meant to include actual events; edit time limit expired

November 2:

1899 – The Boers begin their 118 day siege of British held Ladysmith during the Second Boer War.

1951 – Korean War: A small platoon of 28 Canadian soldiers defend a vital area against an entire battalion of 800 Chinese troops in the Battle of the Song-gok Spur. The engagement lasts into the early hours of November 3.

Births:

1470 – Edward V of England (d. 1483)

1755 – Marie Antoinette, Austrian wife of Louis XVI of France (d. 1793)

1865 – Warren G. Harding, American journalist and politician, 29th President of the United States (d. 1923)

1994 – Shaquile Coulthirst, English footballer (also me)

Every year:
day of the dead
all souls day
the birthday of 5 of the 8 kids when I was in preschool, by coincidence. [myself, my twin brother, our friend, and a set of twin girls, all born on the same day]

Do these count? :slight_smile:

You’re gonna be 78 in 1927 and in 1932 you’ll be 83? If just one I figure it would have been a typo, but clearly you are trying to tell us something I don’t understand.

I figured… 19 was typed instead of 20. No major mystery

October 14:

1066: The Battle of Hastings

1322: Robert the Bruce defeats King Edward II at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland’s independence.

1582: Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.

1884: The American inventor, George Eastman, receives a U.S. Government patent on his new paper-strip photographic film.

1888: Louis Le Prince films Roundhay Garden Scene, the oldest surviving film in existence.

1908: The Chicago Cubs defeat the Detroit Tigers, 2-0, clinching the World Series. It would be their last one to date.

1926: The children’s book Winnie-the-Pooh, by A. A. Milne, is first published.

1947: Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.

1962: First day of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

1964: Leonid Brezhnev becomes the leader of the USSR.

1968: The first live TV broadcast by American astronauts in orbit performed by the Apollo 7 crew.

1979: The first Gay Rights March on Washington, D.C.

1982: U.S. President Ronald Reagan proclaims a War on Drugs.

In all, a fairly notable date throughout recorded history.

For the first 150 or so years of the Presidency, my birthday was an outgoing President’s last full day in office.

What parallels do you see between these items?

You better not pull that kinda shit with Buzz Aldrin. It’ll get you a poke in the nose!

I suppose I didn’t fully grasp the point of the OP. But now that I see, allow me to re-post:

1066: The Battle of Hastings, establishing the Normans as rulers of England
1322: Robert the Bruce defeats King Edward II at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland’s independence from England.

1884: George Eastman receives a U.S. Government patent on his new paper-strip photographic film.
1888: Louis Le Prince films Roundhay Garden Scene, the oldest surviving film in existence.
1968: The first live TV broadcast by American astronauts in orbit performed by the Apollo 7 crew.

1908: The Chicago Cubs defeat the Detroit Tigers, 2-0, clinching the World Series. They’ve been shit ever since.
1926: Winnie-the-Pooh, by A. A. Milne, is first published.
2003: Cubs fan Steve Bartman becomes infamously known as the scapegoat for the Cubs losing game 6 of the 2003 National League Championship Series to the Florida Marlins.

1915: The Kingdom of Bulgaria joins the Central Powers.
1933: Nazi Germany withdraws from The League of Nations.

1962: First day of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Castro was furious with Nikita Khrushchev for ultimately backing down, after Khrushchev had essentially forced the missiles on Castro in the first place.
1964: Leonid Brezhnev becomes the leader of the USSR, ousting Khrushchev, sending him into retirement as a nonperson in the USSR.

Better?