Anything interesting happened on your birthday?

The day I was born (April 12, 1983, for your records. ID thieves, nice opportunity for you!), there were parliamentary elections in Greenland. No, really.

I know someone who was born in the last weeks of WWII, the day the Wilhelm Gustloff was sunk by soviet submarines.

Anything happened on your birthday?

July 20th, Man walks on Moon, Kamikazee is born. As you can imagine I got very little media attention.

I was born on Father’s Day. But it changes every year, so I haven’t had my birthday on Father’s Day since then :slight_smile:

I don’t believe anything interesting actually happened on March 31st, 1980. However, on March 31, 1993 Brandon Lee was killed. Then on March 31, 1995 Selena was killed.

I don’t like my birthday.

Wally died on my birthday.

:frowning:

I was born.

Years from now, that will be commemorated as a Major World Event. Just not yet…

The day I was born is also the day Rosa Parks refused to get up from her seat and move to the back of the bus.

As a result, it’s the one historical event whose daye I cannot forget.

Memorial Day - 29 May

Or just Memorial Weekend cos no matter which way you looked at it, parties were out of the question. Everyone was off picnicing, camping, or whatever families did back then. Not that I’m bitter or anthing but where is my pony and clowns and cake and ice cream and…??? :frowning:

if you enjoy amusement parks

If I remember correctly from receiving one of those “This Day in History” thingybobs once as a kid, not much actually happened in 1971…

Hmmm… Schnitte, April 12 eh?

1861: The American Civil War begins when Confederate troops open fire on Union-held Fort Sumter in South Carolina’s Charleston Bay.

1945: U.S. president Franklin D. Roosevelt, recently elected to a record fourth term in office, dies of a cerebral hemorrhage; Vice President Harry Truman is sworn in as president.

1955: The polio vaccine prepared by U.S. physician Jonas E. Salk is released for general use in the United States.

1961: Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, aboard Vostok 1, is the first man to travel to space; he makes one orbit of the earth during his 108-minute flight.

The fastest natural wind ever recorded blew in at 231 miles per hour on this date in 1934 at Mount Washington, New Hampshire.

Source

So, there ya go. April 12 is my birthday as well. Tho’ I was born in '79.

1945 - Germany surrendered to end the European part of WW II.

1954 - The French garrison at Dien Bien Phu surrendered to effectively end that phase of the Vietnam War.

Well, since you asked,TODAY is my birthday-April 29, 1970

Uma Thurman was also born today.
Kent State was a riot scene
in 1945 the US 7th Army’s Infantry division liberated Dachau (got that from a search)
Other than my twin bro getting dragged out right behind me, thats all I know right now.

Now I’m going back to bed-- for a wittle burtday nap!!

Happy Birthday, Nevermind!

Events happening on my birthday…not much.
1863: Fighting begins in the Battle of Chattanooga.
1945: With the end of WWII all rationing stops in the United States, with the exception of sugar.
1973: Representative Yvonne Burke gives birth to a daughter, becoming the first member of Congress to become a mother while in office.
1804, birth of Franklin Pierce, the 14th president of the United States.
1964, I was born.

Other people sharing my birthday include Billy the Kid, Boris Karloff and Bruce Hornsby. My name also begins with a “B.” Hmm, I wonder what that means?

My birthday is April 23rd.

In England that’s St. George’s day.

I share my birthday with:

Shakespeare, who is believed to have been born on that day, he died on that day as well.

Lee Majors

Shirley Temple Black

Roy Orbison

I think it’s the last date that Easter can fall on. According to one site, http://www.scopesys.com/anyday/, April 23rd was the date of the first Easter.

German surrender was May 8.

The first launch of a Space Shuttle was on an April 12 as well, I read, but not sure about the year.

And happy birthday to Nevermind!

Kal: April 23 is also the death date of Cervantes, who died on the same date the same year as Shakespeare and nonetheless two weeks earlier, because Catholic Spain was using Gregorian Calendar, Britain not.

http://encarta.msn.com/features/onThisDay.asp?inputDate=2/26/2002

On my -205th birthday:

1766: Empress Catherine II (the Great) grants freedom of worship in Russia.

On my -123rd birthday:

1848: Karl Marx and Friederich Engels publish the Communist Manifesto in London.

On my -52nd birthday:

1919: The United States Congress establishes the Grand Canyon as a national park.

And on my +22nd brithday:

1993: A terrorist bomb explosion kills five people and badly damages the World Trade Center in New York, New York.

March 20----

John and Yoko Married in 1970 (1969?)
Conner Clapton (son of Eric) died

Not so good so far but most of the time it is also the vernal equinox and thus the first day of spring.

Schnitte, April 23rd is also the birthdate of Cervantes, 17 years before Shakespeare.

I was born on June 26th. Absolutely nothing has ever happened on that day, at any time, anywhere, ever.

On April 10:

1606: The first charter of Virginia

1872: The first celebration of Arbor Day (in Nebraska if you’re curious)

1979: The Red River Valley tornado outbreak in Oklahoma

A.D. 79 - Pompeii and Herculaneum destroyed

1893 - Tornado destroys coast of Savannah & Charleston, about 1000 die (luckily, I wouldn’t be born for another 70 years!)

1962 - US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site

1981 - Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 yrs to life for Lennon’s murder

BORN:
1934 - Kenny Baker, actor (R2D2-Star Wars)
1951 - Orson Scott Card, US, sci-fi author
1960 - Cal Ripken
1965 - Marlee Matlin