Neat useful tricks that you think most people are not aware of

Please elaborate!

I do that, but I just put paper towel on the spot an iron that. Replace and repeat, then just throw out the paper towel. No need to clog up your washing machine (or worse, your dryer - a fire hazard!) with congealed candle wax.

Plain salt works even better as an hygroscopicagent.

Speaking of wine, I thought this was common knowledge, but I see barely anyone do it (especially wine waiters) so now I’m not sure if it’s always the right thing to do:

When pouring wine into a glass, don’t just glug it into the standing glass so that it splashes and gurgles everywhere, instead tilt the glass towards the bottle and pour down the side of the glass, slowly bringing the glass upright.

I know nothing about wine, perhaps the splashing is preferred so it adds oxygen into the wine or something nobby like that.

You just wanna make sure you don’t get any salt on/in your wet phone. With rice, not only are the grains bigger so that it can’t get into small cracks, it also won’t cause the kind of rust/corrosion that salt will.

If the stripe on your debit/credit card is slightly aged or damaged and won’t swipe, put the card inside a plastic bag and swipe it through the plastic.

Toothpaste will remove pine sap. If you get most oily and sappy stuff on your hands use dishwashing detergent like Palmolive. Don’t wet your hands first, rub it into any stains, then rinse with water afterwards.

But salt water conducts electricity!!!

Best picknick trick there is in the world! But my aunt would warn you not to try this while drunk in a friend’s newly upholstered and very smart dining room…just in case…

Here is another trick: if you need to reach something small (like earrings) down a crack you can’t reach, put tights over the end of the hoover and hoover them up. They won’t go down the hoover, you just pick them up.

Erm, what? Counter intuitive this sounds. See examples I would like to. :smiley:

You can take out a seltzer stain with a little red wine.

You can also use a piece of bread to sop up spilled liquids. That’s why bread is known as nature’s sponge.

If you find permanent marker on formica, you can “erase” it with a gum eraser. No, seriously.

If your tattoo itches, the healing skin is dry and wants more moisture to heal properly. Add more ointment/lotion/whatever it is your tattoo artist recommended in a very thin coat. (My artist recommends any sort of unscented lotion that doesn’t have any Vitamin E content. In my experience, Aveeno unscented everyday stuff works just fine.)

Oh, last thing: If your pen is acting like it’s out of ink, but you’re sure it’s not, there’s an air bubble in the ink supply. Take a rubber band and place the pen in the middle of the loop. Wind up the pen so that the ends of the loop come together and twist around each other, then let the pen go so it spins around the rubber band. The centrifugal force will push out the air bubble and should make your pen work properly again. Just make sure that your pen has a cap just in case-- some pens’ ink may come out in the process.

Save doing unnecessary ironing by putting on your shirt and tucking it into your pants. Then, draw a line around the shirt at belt level with an indelible marker pen. The material below this line will never need ironing, thus saving time and effort.

You don’t seriously do that, do you? Please tell me your sarcasm just whooshed me.

Of course he’s being sarcastic. You don’t need to draw a line on the shirt, just take scissors and cut it off there. Saves on laundry detergent too that way.

When you get that unpleasant “sneezy” feeling in your nose, but you can’t QUITE sneeze?

Focus your eyes on a bright source of light, and the sneeze will happen much more easily.

White wine will get out a red wine stain. (Seriously!)

Always test your death ray on your least-useful and laziest minions, just in case the damned thing works this time.

This works because the reader is too sensitive, or is it not sensitive enough, the thickness of the plastic separates the card from the reader just enough for it to read correctly.

I learned that from Actual Advice Mallard, too. He also taught me that you can reopen a browser tab that you accidentally closed by hitting Ctrl-Shift + T.

I complained to the manager of several stores over the years about the racks at the end. Today, they don’t do it much.

Also, some stores print out the whole detail sheet for the groceries first, then the credit card slip to sign. Saves a lot of time to do it the other way, since hardly anyone actually looks at the detail sheet before signing. More will look at it if it prints first, too, so if you have 1000 customers a day, save 30 seconds with each one, you save 8 hours a day, the equivalent of one full time employee, worth at least $120. For year, $40,000. For a chain of 50 stores, $2million. I sent that idea to the Publix main office and within two months, they made the change. I didn’t even get a thank you note.