Need a book (series)

Looking for a new series to get into. I prefer sci fi or epic fantasy. One-off is okay, but I like long, sprawling stories. My favorite epic series is the Wheel of Time. I will likely be looking to pick them up from Audible to listen to while I work.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. She’s working on Book 9 now.

I highly recommend Glen Cook’s Garrett, P. I. series.

Game of Thrones is good too.

The Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch. Currently 3 books in the series with a fourth in the works.

Peter F. Hamilton, Pandora’s Star. Starts a large series of series (a duology, a trilogy, and another duology) and, if you like space opera, is one of the best written in the past 15-odd years.

Have you read Brandon Sanderson’s other books? (Stormlight Archive is going to be ten books long, but it’s only got two out so far.)

How about The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson?

Apparently the original trilogy (and the second) aren’t available on Audible, just the “Last Chronicles.” But they do have his SF Gap cycle.

The Long Earth series by Stephen Baxter and the late Terry Pratchett were very enjoyable for me. And literally “sprawling”, as it takes place in several different earths.

I second the Gentlemen Bastard series. I’m listening to it now and like the narrator quite a bit.

If you like strong female characters, whimsy, steam punk, supernatural creatures and politics, try the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. She has adult and YA series set in the same universe. I’ve read them repeatedly and listened to them on Audible.

Yes, both the books themselves and the narration are quite good. I don’t know whether or not I’d classify them as “epic fantasy” (as opposed to some other sub-genre), but each book is a self-contained story that’s fairly “long and sprawling” in itself, plus they form a series that may, when it’s done, turn out to be greater than the sum of its parts.

Malazan Book of the Fallen and the associated novels (7 released, 3 more forthcoming) and 5 short stories.

Ridiculously epic, immensely sprawling, and generally well written. Although the ending is a bit of a let down in my opinion. Should keep the OP busy for a while.

I second the nomination, but your count is off. There are 10 books in the original series, with a prequel trilogy planned (1 of 3 books have been released). In addition, there is the 6-book series in the same universe by Ian Esslemont. Esslemont is apparently working on a new trilogy himself.

I love the series, but it’s definitely a polarizing series. You either love it or you hate it.

You’re right of course, I was listing the books in the associated series, not the initial 10 Malazan books themselves.

The Expanse is a sci-fi series with 5 long novels (out of a planned 9) released; a new Syfy TV show based on the books just premiered.

Old Man’s War series by Scalzi. I have no idea if it’s on Audible, but you will not be disappointed. I read it like a maniac; The Fella read it and was sad it was over; And now my dad has started reading it and is a bit obsessed.

Should I add that my dad and The Fella aren’t constant readers like me?

David Weber’s Safehold series begins with Off Armageddon Reef; the 8th book came out this past October.

Not a true series but still awesome are Richard K. Morgan’s Takeshi Kovacs books. Oh, and his A Land Fit For Heroes series was pretty fucking awesome too.

I was unable to find these on Audible, but thanks for the recommendation! This sounds like something I would enjoy.

Off-topic (marginally) but I assume your user ID is taken from Spellsinger? I haven’t read those in decades, but now I feel I need to track them down again.

I got through the first four books, but haven’t had the desire to continue on. Watched the first season of the TV series as well, but I am past the age where I feel T & A help a movie/TV show in any way, and didn’t make it past an episode or two of Season 2.