Please help me choose a fantasy series to read!

I’m not sure what to read next. Here’s what I’m thinking:
Malazan Book Of The Fallen by Erikson…
Mistborn or Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson
Or The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist

I havent read a lot of fantasy novels but recently I’ve read the Game Of Thrones series and loved it. I read the first book of The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch, and The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney, and while I liked each of those books, I didn’t love them and didn’t feel compelled to read the next one in the series right away. Maybe one day I’ll read the rest. I also read the Deryni series a million years ago when I was a teenager and I remember loving those books, but I don’t remember a whole lot about them.
So…what do you reccomend I read next? I want something I can’t put down, and as soon as I finish one book I can’t wait to pick up the next in the series.

There’ve been some similar threads that might be worth looking at:
Recommend some fantasy to me
So I’ve been reading a lot of Epic Fantasy lately
Sorely SORELY disappointed in Mistborn. Help me wash the taste out of my mouth
Which epic fantasy saga to read next?

Keep in mind the Stormlight Archive currently consists of two books, of a planned ten. I really liked the first one and flew through it, wanting more when it was done, but I’m holding off until it’s much closer to completion. I haven’t read book two yet.

This is going to sound weird, given its age, but I’d recommend reading the Riftwar Saga, at least the original trilogy. It’s fun.

The threads Thudlow Boink listed a good place to start.

A lot of people say Mistborn is a bit rough around the edges, but I loved it. It’s a good introduction to Sanderson’s writing style (lots of emphasis on magic systems having hard rules). Then again, if you want to avoid trilogies, you could also go with his stand-alone book Elantris.

I’d also recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie (starting with his opening First Law trilogy) but he’s definitely a bit darker/grimmer than a lot of other fantasy authors… not sure if that’s something that’ll bug you or not.

I’m surprised you didn’t feel entranced by Rothfuss, he’s usually near-universally acclaimed.

Robin Hobb

Farseer Trilogy
Liveship Trilogy
Tawny Man trilogy

and another trilogy in progress.

Sanderson’s Stormlight is excellent so far, but lots of waiting involved for future books

I’d say he’s a bit more than “a bit darker/grimmer”. The First Law series is brilliantly written, but its denouement is the literary equivalent of being kicked repeatedly in the testicles.

You forgot the four-book series (quadrilogy?) of the Rain Wilds Chronicles.

And the Soldier Son trilogy, but that one’s a bit naff.

only read the first two rain wilds and they haven’t inspired me to rush out and read the last two., Soldier’s Son was OK for me but wouldn’t be a series I recommended as a starting point for Hobb

My 16 year old daughter and I have been sharing theRivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. May be outside your preferred fantasy setting as its set in modern London, but with real magic - sort of Harry Potter meets The Bill.

I found them extremely enjoyable, the detectivy part is reasonably well set out as police procedural, and the characters are on the whole fresh and enjoyable. There is an initial 3-parter story arc, and the second part of the second trilogy is recently out and shifts the setting to the English countryside. The author clearly had great fun writing them and lots of wry humour throughout, and mercifully each trilogy is about as long as a single Harry Potter.

Three chefs hats.

I am completely ambivalent towards Mistborn - I thought the worldbuilding was kindof interesting (though it has a lot of This) but his characters were bland as very bland things.

The original Riftwar books actually weren’t half bad, though I wouldn’t advise reading too much past book four.

If I had to make a random “Here’s some Fantasy to read” suggestion to someone I know nothing about, I would suggest The Curse of Chalion, by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Discworld!!

Lois McMaster Bujold’s Chalion trilogy (starting with The Curse of Chalion) is very good. I also liked her Sharing Knife tetralogy.

Patrica C. Wrede’s Frontier Magic series is good, and also has an unusual setting; a fantasy version of pioneer-era America, with fantastic beasts replacing the American Indians.

King James bible has some really quality stuff.

If you’re OK with stuff that’s not all sword-and-sorcery.

A few suggestions:

The Powder Mage series - sort of a sword-bayonet and sorcery series.

Tales of the Ketty Jay: Think Firefly in a world with magic, demons and curses.

The Dabir and Asim series.

I also really enjoyed Throne of the Crescent Moon but from what I’ve heard the author is having some personal issues and the next books may be delayed for a while

Please don’t use the topic as an invitation for drive-by snark about believers. If you want to develop an argument along these lines, take it to Great Debates.

No warning issued.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

I plan on holding off until all ten are published. Not gonna get sucked into that again.

Yes, quite good.

I came to say Mistborn and see you already mentioned it. Read it.