[QUOTE=BarnOwl]
Doesn’t have to be musical, just something that grabs their attention and keeps it. And if possible something that will still be enjoyable maybe 6-8 months down the line.
[/QUOTE]
Well, they’re two different questions. In my experience, you can get a whiz-bang, wow-is-this-cool reaction for about two to three weeks, or you can get a midline excitement reaction for 6-8 months. I think everyone should enjoy both, but Grandma Presents are usually the first, admit it! 
The first would be the Leapfrog type toys - WhyBaby loves her Leapfrog Activity Table, but every two weeks I hide it for two weeks or so and bring it out again when she’s forgotten about it and it’s new again - otherwise, she starts to ignore it. Ditto those books that makes sounds when you press buttons, balls that play music when you bounce them, etc. One nice thing about these is mom can cook dinner and hear that the kids are safe and busy in the next room, but they can also be abused and make people ignore their kids.
The second, the longevity toys, are the stacking cups, the blocks, the wooden train, the measuring spoons from my kitchen, her keyring (she ignores the plastic keys - I gave her a bunch of clean real keys that I don’t have any use for), her crayons, a rubbermate crate filled with sand (we don’t have a yard for a sandbox, but she loves to scoop and pour sand), my mixing bowls and a wooden spoon, a shoebox filled with Mardi Gras beads that I got from a Doper (only under adult supervision, to prevent choking or strangulation, of course), the balls-that-roll-down-the-track-when-you-put-them-through-the-hole-at-top, etc.
Somewhere in between are her drums - real drums, not electric ones. She has a little set of congos, a set of bongos and a tiny djembe. She loves to drum with Daddy. She also likes her shakers and maracas. I especially like the Lock and Link Shakers - they have four pieces with different shakey things - one has beads, one has bells, one tamborine, and the other clacky plastic discs. It’s easy to take apart for one sound, or snap together to make four percussive sounds at once. She loves it, and my husband even “borrows” it to take to grown-up drum circles!