need a phrase

I am not certain how to write what I am looking for.
I want to convey the person should not be making an important decision so late in the game. For example closing the barn door after the horse got out. Or having to leave the battle to purchase ammunition not because they ran out but because they did not plan well.

Help?

I recall seeing some sites that contain “addages” or “old wives sayings”.

They are easy to find. You just have to hit on the right word to describe these things.

They are either “addages” or “mottos” or “sayings” or something like that.

There are thousands of them and Google will find them for you.

I Googled “sayings” and “addages” and found these two sites. I’m sure there are hundreds like these:

Please excuse me for saying this. But I suggest you strongly try to avoid asking for help that can be answered with “Use Google and search for one of the words in your request”.

You really should try to do that before making the post.

Good luck.

Darn. Ran out of edit time.

I also suggest “mottos”:

Aslo … “quotes”

http://toolbar.inbox.com/lp/lp.aspx?tbid=80362&c=quotesflash&k=Sayings&b=GGL_XT_ppc24_80362_18_42_00_*GeoUSCA*_-Search-_b__sayings&s=awppc24&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc24-18&utm_term=sayings

But don’t bother to install the toolbar.

Use another site for “quotes” before you install any toolbars.

“That ship has sailed”

“Too late in the game”

Hmm… Wikiquotes has something like 23,000 quotes

There is also this one:

http://www.quotationspage.com/qotd.html

But you can find many, many other similar sites.

Good luck.
You can also try “proverbs”
Say … How about … “A stitch in time saves nine.”

or … “Haste makes waste”

Thank you everyone!

i think any questions that can’t be answered with a quick google is as valid an OP as any. what is the context of the intended phrase? i don’t really get your examples, how are they related to your request? in the meantime, here are two suggestions:

stay the course
stop second-guessing yourself

I think “you don’t change horses in mid-stream” conveys the idea.

How snarky do you want to be?

Very snarky; without expletives.
The situation needs to be a pitting on my part regarding a grossly incompetent business.

I go with “that ship has sailed” for indicating it is too late to make changes.

But what leapt to my mind when reading the question was quote from Babylon 5: “The avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.”

“Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic”

I love a B5 quote:D