Need another side dish for my cookout

Here at the Dr. J household, we celebrate our country’s independence by lighting a fire under some meat.

As such, I have a whole boatload of leg quarters marinating in the fridge, mostly in Dr. J’s Own Vinegar Death Sauce, and the rest in JavaMaven’s Mango and Red Pepper Sauce. (Thanks!)

This will be accompanied by homemade bread, corn on the cob, key lime pie, and cobbler (blackberry if I can find some, peach if I can’t).

I need another side dish. I don’t really have time to do baked beans right, but I may go that way anyway. Not a lot of cole slaw fans in the crowd, and I don’t care for potato salad myself (I don’t like mayonnaise).

Any suggestions for something unique?

Dr. J

While you have the BBQ fired up why not grill some veggies.

You can skewer whatever you like and then marinade it in Italian dressing…very yummy and a nice light side to your dinner.

A pasta salad, or a macaroni salad is an easy side dish.

Or you could set out a platter of sliced fruit. A fruit salad works really well for me, especially in the summer. Have plenty of cool whip on hand.

Hmmmmmm, a pea-cheese salad always works great, and when served in scooped out tomatoes, looks really good too.

A carrot-raisin salad is more old-timey, I don’t see those too often any more.

If you need more ideas, we could always whip out a cookbook! :smiley:

Scalloped potatoes are always popular, and if you add some cheese they are Potatoes Au Gratin and IMHO are even better.
Both are easy to make.

Scotti

You can bake some potatoes and/or make a nice large green salad. Or do a broccoli rice and cheese dish.

Darn, now I’m hungry.

Cherry tomatoes work great, and I hear that mushrooms do, too. (I hate shrooms, so I wouldn’t know. Tomatoes are more my thing. 12 plants in the yard, and I ate my first ripe one yesterday. Not bad for Chicago.)

Anyway, sorry for the hijack interlude. A little too much pineapple rum punch at the cookout and port afterwards, probably. You could also try marinading bell pepper quarters in teriyaki sauce beefed up with red pepper flakes (or a diced jalapeno), garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

As for the shrooms, I hear tell that brushing them with melted butter while they’re grilling is a good thing. The tomatoes don’t need much, except salt after they’re done. If you want to get pretentious, or impress a date, use sea salt.

Try baking some potatoes on the grill.

[ul]1) Rub some butter or shortening on the potatoes.*
2) Wrap each potato in aluminum foil (the all-purpose cooking tool!)
3) Put the 'taters on the grill for ~20-30 minutes, turning occasionally.
4) Serve 'em with butter, salt, pepper, sour cream, ranch dressing, or whatever cranks yer motor![/ul]

~~Baloo

*Makes the skins crispy and keeps the moisture in the spud.

I don’t know if you’re from the south, but a good Vidalia onion with a pat of butter and wrapped in foil is a good grill subsitute/alternative for baked spud. If you haven’t experienced the sweetness of a good Vidalia (they’re grown in Georgia), they make a great side dish for steaks. They’re also great beer-battered and fried.

Deviled eggs! DEVILED EGGS, DAMMIT!

. . . Oops, sorry. I just have strong feelings about what should be part of a 4th of July meal.

Carry on.
– Sylence

Sorry for the delay, AOL keeps kicking me offline…grrr. Damned stupid loaner computer…I’ll type this out again…

• decap and scrape the gills out of portobello ‘shrooms; brush w/ olive oil, marinate in some teryiaki sauce, whatever. Ditto w/ large slice of zucchini, summer squash; grill. Sprinkle w/ herbs of choice if puttin’ on the dog.

• huge, cold bowl of seasonal fruit; melons, berries, etc.; douse on some fresh lime juice, orange juice, Champagne and or mixture of choice.

• stupid, embarrassing easy but always snarfed up:
    CREAMED CHEESE POTATOES
    10 cups instant mashed potatoes
    8 oz. cream cheese
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1/2 (or more) grated Cheddar cheese

Glop everything together. Pop it into a buttered baking, dish, cover, and bake 45 min. at 350. Remove lid and bake 15 min more to brown top, or slide under broiler.

• unusual, but dead simple and delicious:
    BEAN SPROUT SALAD WITH GARLIC AND GINGER
    2 Tbsp. sesame seeds, lightly toasted
    1 lb. fresh bean sprouts, washed and well drained
    3 med. cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced (I crush em)
    2 scallions, trimmed and finely choppped
    1 1" cube ginger, peeled and minced (I grate it)
    2 Tbsp. sesame oil
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    2 Tbsp. cider vinegar (or vineagar of choice)
    1 Tbsp. mirin (sweet rice wine, or sherry)
    2 tsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. spicy sesame oil (or titch of caynenne; whatever)

Toast the sesame seeds lightly in the oven or a hot, dry skillet until golden. Just don’t burn 'em. Plop the bean sprouts aside in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
Over med-low heat, stir fry garlic, scallions and ginger in sesame oil until limp. Dump in the rest of the ingredients, kick up the heat to moderate and boil uncovered about 1 minute, until liquid reduces a bit. Pour the whole shebang over the bean sprouts, chill and forget about them.
Toss just before serving.
(NOTE: don’t try this with with canned bean sprouts! Use the fresh ones, improvise on the rest and you won’t go far wrong.)

UncleBeer one time posted a killer pasta salad. IIRC, toss some cooked pasta w/ chopped zucchini, summer quash, good olives, finely diced good salami, celery, etc. I was short on ingredients, but dumped in a pkg. or two of buttermilk ranch dressing and some white wine vinegar. It’s probably a travesty of his recipe, but people vacuumed up the bowl, so FWIW.

Veb

Some sort of meat and sweetcorn.

You don’t need a side dish.

I don’t know if you like sour cream but if so, I have a great potato salad recipe that uses no mayo (I hate it too!)

You could make a fruit salsa with chips. No, not one of those nasty ones with onions and green peppers mixed with fruit–a real one with just fruit and sweet stuff. I have the recipe.

I cannot give thses recipes on the board–they are secret! But I will e-mail them to you…