Need Answer Fast - Poster on Another Board with Suicide Gestures

On another message board a poster is describing consuming quite a pharmacy of drugs, washed down with alcohol. This isn’t, I don’t think, a deliberate suicide attempt, more of a gesture combined with extremely self-destructive behavior. Nonetheless, it could still be fatal. This person IS depressed, doesn’t have the money for private paying for help. This is, in part, due to spending all her money on surgery connected with her sex-change, leaving said person destitute. (Her transsexual status is NOT common/public knowledge on that other board, she’s still in the closet in that regard) And, needless to say, not everyone treats such people nicely or with compassion. This person also lives in the Chicago area. I’m not sure if it’s Cook County or one of the adjacent suburbs. Frankly, I’m not even sure this person has a legal residence.

Question 1) Is there anyway to determine this person’s location sufficiently so that, if she is in Chicago, I can call the city for a well-being check?

Question 2) Does anyone know of any resources that would be available to a destitute person in regards to mental health in the Chicago area? (I’m familiar with what’s in NW Indiana, but I know for sure she isn’t that close to me. I need to know what’s in Cook County and surrounding Illinois)

I think the person’s ISP will reveal their location/contact information if required by law, and will probably do so in an urgent medical emergency. I think if you contact the admin of the message board, they should be able to contact the ISP. I don’t know anything about facilities available in Chicago. I understand your concerns about compassionate treatment and resources for low-income persons, but it sounds like this person should be taken to the ER if the problem is urgent.

Well, that’s the thing - right now she’s self-medicating heavily. I don’t think it’s an actual suicide attempt or actual emergency right now. I was just coming back to say that if I DID think it was at that level I would be calling 911… except I need to have some idea where this person actually IS.

Honestly, it can be hard to determine what, exactly, is going on with someone on line. And I don’t want to get too detailed because, obviously, this person is entitled to her privacy. I just thought the wellness check might be a way to have someone actually look in on her without activating the emergency services for less than an emergency.

I think it’s serious. It might become an emergency, but I don’t think it is right now.

And I’m looking into other sources of information, too, it’s just that the Dope is full of resources and people.

Further complicating thing - the board and the admin are not in the US… which will only complicate requesting an ISP.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to suggest that I thought you weren’t doing the right things. I was trying to answer fast and didn’t think much about my tone.

I didn’t take offense, I think the situation is quite alarming and that can easily result in people blurting things out a little more bluntly than they would otherwise.

OK, I understand now - you’re right that a wellness check is a level below activating emergency services. I don’t know how you would be able to get her location under those circumstances. Sorry I can’t help. I’m glad you’re trying to help her.

Broomstick, one of my favorite Chicago charities for those in need is the Night Ministry. They provide many different services to youth and adults, and specifically state that they do not discriminate for sexuality/gender-based reasons. They are non-denominational. They even have services like a ‘health bus’ that drives around to various neighborhoods to provide services on the spot, and their website does link to at least one mental health service center for people in need - they might have more information if this person calls or E-mails them, too.

Contact one of the board moderators and see if they have a policy set up on situations like that. They may have personal contact information. Email could lead you to an ISP. Phone and address would be direct links. From there, contact 911 for that area and request a wellness check.

Or you could contact the person directly and ask for their information. Depending on their state of mind, you might or might not share your intentions with her.

I hope she gets the help she needs.

Yes, your local 911 people can find the ISP address and send someone around to check on them. Does not have to be an emergency. No legal procedures needed. They have the ability to find the location easily. I see this on the local 911 report all the time. Like this quote from yesterday here: http://www.astoriadispatch.org/posted/458/Thursday_Press_Log.421671.pdf
REQ AN OFFICER DO A WELFARE CHECK ON FM. SHE POSTED ON FACEBOOK TO HAVE SOMEONE DO
A WELFARE CHECK ON HER AND TO KNOCK HARD. OFC CONTACTED FM. SHE IS FINE. FM IS GOING
THROUGH A BREAK UP WITH HER BOYFRIEND AND WANTED PEOPLE TO KNOW HER LOCATION JUST
IN CASE. PR ADVISED

The city of Chicago has a 311 number to request wellness checks and they’d rather people use that than 911 for the purpose. Of course, if you weren’t from the Chicago area you wouldn’t know that.

I think she might be willing to give out information to someone sympathetic. As someone who has been through the self-medicating and severe depression, if someone would have reached out to me, saying “I care. I want to help you.” I probably would have thrown open the door to them. Try to contact her, see if she’s willing to accept help.

Looks like the public urgings of the board convinced her not to pour alcohol on the drug mix, at least.

Bad end to a love affair, apparently. Must utterly suck to be a transsexual trying to date.

I’ve offered to help in any way I can through a PM. And if she doesn’t want my help to please get some from somewhere. It’s really about all I can do at this point.