Need film recommendations: families with issues

Yes, I realize that most film families have all kinds of issues.
Anyway, aside from What’s Eating Gilbert Grape and/or Little Miss Sunshine, what would be another film that might be used for class discussion and analysis of family dynamics? R-rated okay.

Rachel Getting Married

Also, if you don’t mind subtitles, I’ve Loved You So Long – Kristen Scott Thomas is released from prison and goes to live with her sister and her family.

Both are outstanding films.

*Ordinary People
On Golden Pond
Pieces of April
American Beauty
Hannah and Her Sisters
Terms of Endearment
Mommie Dearest *:wink:

The Ref is a comedy about a dysfunctional family whose home is taken over by a criminal who finds himself acting as their counselor.

The Squid and the Whale is a drama about the effects of a divorce on a family’s children.

This may not be what you’re looking for, but I thought I’d include it anyway - You Can Count on Me is a drama about the reunion of an orphaned brother and sister, and how they fall back on old patterns of behavior.

If documentaries are in bounds, can’t go wrong with Capturing the Friedmans.

I’m going for non-documentaries.
I remember liking You can Count on Me…I’ll check into that one again.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I like to give a variety of choices to students.

The Royal Tannenbaums is about as messed up a family as you can imagine, short of outright criminal child abuse. Great movie. Very funny, when it’s not heartbreaking. Or, actually, even when it is heartbreaking.

Stuart Saves His Family is surprisingly good, and a surprisingly real story about a man who’s grown up in a “toxic” family struggling to take responsibility for his own problems, while simultaneously–and frustratingly–trying to get his family to deal with their own issues as well. Directed by Harold Ramis, whose *Groundhog Day *similarly transcended its material to become something great and real.

Grumble, grumble - stealing my thunder! I’m supposed to be the cool person who knows about The Ref!

Seriously, it is a great movie - I watch it every Christmas (the events occur at a Christmas gathering). I don’t want to spoil it, but damn, so many great lines, and actually a nice story in the end.

Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Parenthood

*Whale Rider
Once Were Warriors
*another nod for Ordinary People

I’d recommend Home for the Holidays.

Seconding this. A really cute movie, and stands the test of time. Appropriate for almost any age group from about 16 up–would be appropriate for somewhat younger audiences minus the “electric ear cleaner” scene.

American Beauty was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread topic.

Amen!! Extremely well done movie. “The Ice Storm” is another really good movie. For some reason “Goodfellas” came to mind. Lots of drama in that family.

Probably the best movie about a family with issues would have to be Parents from 1989 starring Randy Quaid.

Another with subtitles: Festen, or in English, the Celebration.

*Eraserhead

Tideland

Spanking the Monkey

Donnie Darko*

…why is everyone looking at me like that?

Running with Scissors

Igby Goes Down

Happiness

Welcome to the Dollhouse