Need help with batch resizing in Photoshop

So, i have a digital camera that produces 5 megapixel jpegs, roughly 2500 x 2000 pixels. After i load these images onto my computer, i “process” each one individually, usually using a combination of levels and curves, and getting rid of any other defects like red-eye. I then save full sized copies of each image.

But, for the most part, i like to put the images on the web for my friends to browse, and i usually reduce them to jpegs of either 800x600 or 600x450 for that purpose. When i reduce the size of each image, i usually do it by creating an action and then running an automated batch process. The action itself usually involves resizing, sharpening (images usually require different sharpening parameters for small web images than for large images for printing), and then saving the reduced jpegs to a new folder. All rather simple.

The problem is that i can’t find a way to deal with all the images at the same time. Say i have a folder of images that i want to reduce to 600x450. If, when recording the action for doing this, i resize the image by setting the horizontal size to 600, this will work fine with images in landscape format. But, in images that are in portrait format, it will result images of 600x800, instead of 600x450.

Similarly, if i set the vertical length to 600, that will work for portrait-style images, but will leave landscape-style images too large.

What i want to know is if there is any way to set an action so that Photoshop—instead of making all the vertical dimensions or all the horizontal dimensions 600 pixels—will make the longest side of each image (whether the horizontal or vertical side) 600 pixels.

There’s probably a really simple way to do this, but i’ve never yet been able to figure it out, and it’s driving me crazy.

What version of Photoshop? If CS, then there’s scripting facilities, which can do everything you’re describing. Earlier versions will be more problematic.

I do indeed have CS, but i know fuck all about scripting, so it may not be of much use to me.

Unfortunately I’m a PSP user but the scripting is probably similar enough. You defined a script by recording an action such as resizing. Generally best to do this as a percentage of original size if the orienation of the photos is mixed, that is some portrait, some landscape. Save this script/macro then look for a batch function, perhaps in a tools menu or in the file menu and run the batch with the included script.