Need ideas for Election Night party mix CD - NO LEE GREENWOOD!

I’m planning to have a few friends over on the night of the 4th to watch the election results come in, and not just any music will do. I’m looking for songs that will apply specifically to this election and these candidates, and to America in general. I have a few ideas but I’d like it to be more balanced. I’m into a lot of '60s and '70s music, so I probably already have a good number of songs for the Obama side. But I’m always willing to take better suggestions.

A few possibilities:

“Change is Gonna Come” - Sam Cooke
“I Am a Real American” - Hulk Hogan’s old theme song, if I can find it
Hendrix’s take on “The Star Spangled Banner” is probably a must
So is at least one version of “Hail to the Chief,” preferably an unusual one

What else should I look for?

“Rednecks” - Randy Newman

He has a song on his new album that I don’t own, but I heard him perform it on NPR that would probably be relevant.
He’s also got “Political Science”, which I guess is about as relevant to this election as “rednecks” is.

Any of the various songs that were used by the various campagins would be relevant, too—like Heart’s “Barracuda”.

And, of course, Alice Cooper’s “Elected” works for every election, doesn’t it?

Well Rednecks will be relevant if McCain/Palin win. :slight_smile:

If it helps, the day after every election, my boss plays The Who’s “Won’t Get Fooled Again”.

“Tomorrow Belongs to Me” from Cabaret.

“Time Has Come Today” - Chambers Brothers
“Changes” - David Bowie
“Rock (*Barack!) *You Like A Hurricane” - Scorpions
“War” - Edwin Starr

Both used by the McCain campaign:
“Danger Zone” - Kenny Loggins
“Barracuda” - Heart

Good point, although that might lead to the use of way too many U2 songs. I like the suggestions here so far, though.

And I’m an idiot for leaving off “Politician” by Cream. And perhaps “I Want to Conquer the World” by Bad Religion.

Viva La Vida - Coldplay

If I go that route I think I’d prefer “Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” although I’ve never been a big fan of that song.

Depending on your political leanings, there is a remake of Twisted Sister’s “I wanna Rock” done by thier guitarist Jay French called “I want Barack”

Assuming things go your (our) way, I can imagine a rousing chorus of We Are The Champions (I think that is the name of the song too?) by Queen.

Couple of others I missed:

“Big Brother” and maybe “You Haven’t Done Nothing” by Stevie Wonder (I knew I this period covered)
“Electioneering,” Radiohead
The “Yes We Can” song by will.i.am

Beatles. Tax Man. Since it’s a major theme.

This is my current favorite–of course, I dig swing music so I’m predisposed but still, it’s awfully catchy!

“I’d Love to Change the World” by Ten Years After.

Also, this comes to mind.

Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran! (McCain got some flak for making a similar joke at a meeting in South Carolina in April 2007.)

“Independence Day” and “In My Daughter’s Eyes” by Martina McBride. The first is upbeat and spunky; the second is lyrical and beautiful - I could almost imagine Barack or Michelle writing the words.

“American Child” by Phil Vassar. Quietly, movingly patriotic.

“Only in America” by Brooks & Dunn (played right after Obama’s acceptance speech at the Dem. Natl. Convention). A bit more jingoistic, but still good.

“Tubthumping” by Chumbawamba. Get that party started, baby!

“Beautiful Day” by U2. I’ve heard this at a lot of political events in recent years. It’s easy to see why.

And you can’t go wrong with J.P. Sousa for a patriotic occasion: “The Washington Post March,” “Semper Fidelis,” “El Capitan,” “George Washington Bicentennial” and “The Thunderer” are favorites of mine.

“Politician” by Cream

“Industrial Military Complex Hex” by Steve Miller Band

“BYOB” by System of a Down

Pearl Jam (with Stone Gossard on vocals instead of Eddie Vedder) did a remake of “Rock Around the Clock” called “Rock Around Barack”. I think you can download it for free on their site somewhere.