I also got a negative (in the positive way) result on a recent HIV test though I had absolutely no reason whatever to think I wouldn’t. It quite irritated me, however, that my doctor insisted I take the test even though I told him "Yes, I’m gay, no I’m not usually sexually active, yes, I have had sex in the last seven years [I think- what’s today?]… HOWEVER [I won’t get as explicit here but I did with him] I’ve done nothing in years that could conceivably transmit HIV, or if I have then you can write a paper that HIV can also be transmitted by a new method. Still, he insisted I have the test even though I had one during a routine physical a year ago (it was just part of the battery included) and shall we say it’s been a dry year.
Irritates me as pretty much any straight male friend I have is more sexually active than I am and higher risk and yet they don’t get this. (Of course the same doctor witnessed to me about Jesus [or tried to] while still lubed and latexed- I’m thinking of getting another Primary, which is such a pain.)
Just don’t get too drunk tonight celebrating. Might do something you’d regret…
I had a friend who got a false positive about six months ago. He knew it was a false positive, because he’s about the lowest-risk case you can imagine (virgin non-drug user with no blood transfusions) but it was still quite a scare.
Well I got a letter today saying thank you for my last blood donation so I guess if I was positive they would have told me then. Not that there is any reason to think I could have been positive.
[QUOTE=the chicken of exeter]
Well I got a letter today saying thank you for my last blood donation so I guess if I was positive they would have told me then. Not that there is any reason to think I could have been positive.
[/QUOTE]
I hope everyone out there knows that attempting to donate blood is NOT the proper way to get yourself screened for HIV. :eek:
[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
It’s a good feeling, isn’t it. I’ve been lucky enough to have been tested on two separate occasions, several years apart, and I remain negative. *
*no, I’m not randy; I’m a nurse who has managed TWICE in 20 years to stick myself with a used needle from two different known HIV+ pts. Thank god we have needle-less systems now…
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=neuroman]
I hope everyone out there knows that attempting to donate blood is NOT the proper way to get yourself screened for HIV. :eek:
[/QUOTE]
No, but it is a side-effect, at least in the UK. You donate; they tell you if you’re positive and give you counselling if you are.
YOU ohmygod–what about ME? Jeebus-lemme tell you-not a nice thing to live through.
Twice.
I am very glad that folks here are tested, have been tested and will continue to get tested-I’m all for it. And please use condoms. [/public health ad]
I also agree with sampiro -heteros should be tested as frequently as gays, if they are um, how you say, actively active. (meaning many partners).
Do we *know *he didn’t practice safe sex? I don’t see where he says he didn’t in the OP, although I could have missed it. And even if I used a condom with someone and they called me three months later with this news, I’d still get tested anyway.
[QUOTE=Anaamika]
Do we *know *he didn’t practice safe sex? I don’t see where he says he didn’t in the OP, although I could have missed it. And even if I used a condom with someone and they called me three months later with this news, I’d still get tested anyway.
**Skald **- care to set us straight, either way?
[/QUOTE]
I knew there was a reason I loved you best, Anaamika, thought I had always thought it was your general sexiness.
Anywhistle, I’ve typically been safe in sex, and always with the former fuck buddy in question; the last time I wasn’t safe was when I was in a long-term (for me) monogamous relationship and we’d both been tested. (I admit to having a lot of unsafe sex in college.). That said, the FB insists that she was always, always, always safe, and even condoms don’t always work.
Thanks for this as well. I’ve been feeling faintly guilty in my glee (is there an opposite to schaudenfreude?) because of her situation. It seems unfair; she’s no more a slut than I am. (Okay … no less a slut than I.) But that’s the way the dice rolled, I 'spose, along with the fact that M-F transmission is, as I understand it, considerably easier than F-M.
Anywhistle – the long national nightmare is over; I no longer feel obliged to be utterly celibate. Whee!
[QUOTE=Freudian Push Up Bra]
As the saying goes,
(a) “Never ever deck her with an unwrapped pecker.”
(b) “If it’s not on, it’s not on!”
(c) “Glad wrap salami to ensure its ongoing freshness.”
(Which one of these things is not like the other?)
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm…I’m gonna go with (b). (a) mentions “pecker” and (c) has “salami”, but (b) contains no such wacky euphemisms for diddles.
Oh, and remember boys:
Don’t do someone from Venus without covering your penis.
Same applies if you’re into people from Mars (hehehe…into), but that doesn’t rhyme as well.
[QUOTE=Rigamarole]
That’s kind of an asinine thing to say. Even when safe methods (i.e. condoms) are used, there’s still some possibility of infection, however small.
Not to mention symptoms of HIV may not show up for several years after infection, so many people who are carriers don’t even know it yet.
[/QUOTE]
Not to mention a frighteningly large number of younger folks who aren’t all that worried it’ll happen to them. Because, you know, you’re immortal at 17. And they have all those drugs for AIDS now and they keep people alive, right? No, really, some people think it’s not a big problem anymore. “Won’t happen to me, and if it does I have those drugs anyway.” :rolleyes:
Happy you’re clear, Skald. Because I work in a hospital lab, I’m sure that at some point in my life, no matter how careful I am, I’ll be waiting for a blood test result myself.
[QUOTE=Rigamarole]
That’s kind of an asinine thing to say. Even when safe methods (i.e. condoms) are used, there’s still some possibility of infection, however small.
Not to mention symptoms of HIV may not show up for several years after infection, so many people who are carriers don’t even know it yet.
[/QUOTE]
I didn’t mean it to be snarky. I’ve lost many a friend and family member to AIDS. I just kind of hoped in this day and age people understand the risks and are more careful.