Neither Mundane nor Pointless: Kyle Hellyer

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14261522

Brief summary: Yes, I did check snopes (hoaxes similar to this story [which I’m NOT saying is a hoax] have appeared there), and they have nothing matching the name. If anyone has information to the effect that this is not true, I’d be very interested in hearing about it. Until then I’m assuming it is true.

Here’s the story, as I was unable to find it from The Athens News:

"To the Editor:

Last month, one of my co-workers’ children was diagnosed with a rare blood disorder. Five-year-old Kyle Hellyer of Glouster has Fanconi’s Anemia, which keeps his bone marrow from producing enough red or white blood cells and platelets to sustain life (see http://www.fanconi.org/). The news was heartbreaking for Kyle’s family members and those who know them – including me and everyone who works with Drs. Reistenberg, LaVelle and Welsh.You may know the Hellyers. Kyle’s mom, Kelly, is a receptionist with Drs. Riestenberg, LaVelle and Welsh. His dad, Dave, owns and operates Burr Oak Excavating. Kyle also has a brother, Justin, who is 8. They all are lifetime residents of the area.

Without treatment, Kyle’s condition will lead to aplastic anemia with bone-marrow failure or leukemia. The only treatment and Kyle’s only hope for survival is a bone-marrow transplant. Kyle’s doctors feel that he is an ideal candidate for a transplant, and his family recently was blessed with the news that his father is a match. With this match, the doctors feel Kyle’s prognosis is excellent. However, in addition to the surgery, Kyle will have a lengthy hospital stay (approximately four months) and must endure chemotherapy treatments.

Insurance will cover some of Kyle’s expenses, but not all. Kyle’s condition is devastating enough for his family. With the help of some friends, I hope to make the expense the least of the family’s worries. To to that, I am spearheading a community effort – “Points of Hope.”

The Friends of Kyle are asking you for more than a donation. We also need your contacts and connections - both personal and professional - so that we can reach our 100 Points of Hope. Our goal is to have each Point of Hope raise $1,000 any way he or she can. The beauty of grassroots, community effort is that its product can be much greater than the sum of its parts. Individuals can work together, and hope together, for a common cause – Kyle.

The Friends of Kyle have contacted you because we think you can help us achieve our goal. Please consider making a donation of $1,000. If you cannot commit to $1,000 on your own, make a personal goal of raising $1,000 from your friends, coworkers and family. We’re also interested in any contacts or good ideas you can provide to help us achieve our goal. Even 10 minutes of brainstorming can turn into amazing things.

All proceeds that we raise will go toward paying Kyle’s medical bills and related medical expenses. Any remaining proceeds that we raise will go into a trust fund for his future needs.Thank you for your time. If you have any ideas or questions that you would like to discuss with me, please call me at (740) 593-8530.

(Send all donations to: The Friends of Kyle, First National Bank, Kyle Hellyer Fund, P.O. Box 187, Glouster, OH 45732.)

Dr. Timothy LaVelle
Committee organizer, The Friends of Kyle"

Here’s the link from the Athens News, so it would appear, if not legitimete, to be a real letter written to the editor

story

They have started a web site for Kyle Hellyer. And there really is a First Nation Bank in Orrville, OH. Of course, this doesn’t verify anything, but there does appear to be a lot of detail.